Your chickens' favorite food?

JetBlack

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Coeur d'Alene, ID
My flock (6) seem to prefer mac-n-cheese and rice, but if I open the screen door and anyone sees me with a bag of bread, in my hand... it.... is .... ON! The black bantam with green ears, will fly from the far side of the back yard, all the way onto the 2nd story deck, to try for first dibs.

I have to say bread for their #1 favorite.

mine love spaghetti! no wonder why there...
smile.png
and red things like tomatoes...

Peaches, Cheerios, cold oatmeal and dandelion greens. They go nuts over any of them. Although rice seems to be a very close second to those.

I can come up with a list of what they don't like better than what they do like. That list is way too long. When they see me with anything in my hand it's on. I have one that I swear is part goat. The only thing she hasn't liked is spaghetti. She will jump to get what ever I have out of my hand. She is always the first one to get the food and the last to leave. For some reason all the roos like her. There is only 1 roo in the coop with her and several others but all the roos flirt with her. Apparently she is a real hottie in the chicken world.

Ok, they don't care for strawberries, cranberries or grapes. Apples are nibbled on but not consumed, only in the sizzle pen are they eaten.

Their favorites are tuna, mackerel, rice, eggs, beef, bread, lettuce and cabbage. Oh and tomatoes. They love tomatoes, green red, they don't care.

Mine fought over the only strawberry I got this year. It was red and had some slug damage so it was okay. I tossed it to them and as soon as it left my hand I thought "That was really stupid. I just taught them to eat the food I plant that grows right on the ground."

Can they eat hamburger that has turned gray and I wouldn't eat it? Should I cook it to sterilize it or are they tougher than me? I know crows and magpies will eat anything. I once saw two crows squabbling over a pile of vomit, at a bus stop. Blech. Are chickens like that? Anything that stays down their gullet, best out of three?

Magpies will eat stuff the would make a vulture sick. Magpies would eat vulture sick. And chickens are nothing like as smart as magpies.

PANCAKES!!! And melon rinds! When I pull up the roos crow and the hens line up - especially in the mornings when I come home - they KNOW I have SOMETHING. They run each other over to get to the pancakes - it's a trip to watch, especially when they find a blueberry or strawberry THEN the game of keep away starts! They are so cool I never thought I would find that much entertainment in feeding chickens.

We've never tried feeding them actual human food I didn't even know you could! As far as chicken stuff they love cracked corn if you sprinkle it in the run they go crazy! sometimes I get a little on them and they eat it off each other and fight over it! There insane...in the membrane xD

Back
Top Bottom