Your Designs For Cold Weather Covered Runs?

It's some kind of plaything from Fisher Price for infants.
My neighbor's son outgrew it and it was going to the curb for collection... so I collected it
wink.png

It's hard plastic and great for perching ~ those dangly things remind me of chimes and it has a colorful little curtain on the side too.
All weatherproof material, it adds something interesting for them to climb on and a splash of color to the run.

Quote:

Eventually, I'd like to save up and cover my runs with solid roofing--but according to DH that will probably cost $2,500.00 to do all the runs.

For now, I don't do anything....besides lock everyone in the coop when it's super-cold--but this upcoming winter I will be adding plastic to the sides as wind-breaks. In the past, I used strawbales (when I only had a few runs) but when they are $17-$18 a piece, it's way too spendy to try to do that now with all of the coops & runs I have.

We get a lot of snow!

DSCN4990.jpg

Eventually, I'd like roofs (is that a word?) roofing--to cover all of the runs...it would be designed to follow the existing roofline:

DSCN4591.jpg

My small coop I'm hoping to get those runs covered next spring.

DSCN5356.jpg

We wrap the run in 3ml plastic. It is very economical and easy to staple on and remove in the spring. I'm in Minnesota; we button up in mid-October and remove in mid-late April. The roof is covered in PVC corrugated panels installed over plywood sheets. I wish it was peaked to reduce shoveling in heavy snow, but most of the time it sheds rain/sleet/snow just fine from sunlight and melt.

More ideas for winterizing your coop .

We lucked out today and got 3 showers doors and 1 large window for $10.00. What a deal! We went to a glass shop that had windows in the junk pile to go to trash, and got 2 for free. The other 2 we got at the local Habitat store. So we're coming up with a design for the sunroom... Temps dipping, so we'll get to work soon... Any more ideas???

We had decided we wanted something can dis-assemble in the spring, remove and store. It will add more light and room for the girls to stretch their legs. We started buying some materials yesterday and today, mostly recycled. My husband Dave is in the building process today, since the weather is decent. He designed the front, main screened wall to fit with a shower door, thinking we could add one later, for winter. We got a perfect fit yesterday, for free. Instead of covering the area with plastic (even clear is somewhat opaque) it will have nice, clear glass. Dual-pane to boot! I LOVE recycling!!! Our sun room in progress-
52301_pa080006.jpg

52301_pa080007.jpg

Once it's installed and I paint the wood, it should look pretty good, and be nice and sturdy for the winter. We're adding an emergency door, in case one of the girls gets sick or injured. Always gotta have access. It will almost double the square footage and be nice and sunny. I'll post more photos when it's done...

This is farther along than this picture but the run is only open on one side and I'll have a heavy tarp to try to keep it weatherized. Its still open under the eaves of the roof so plenty of ventilation still. I imagine they'll stay in the coop most of the winter but this is my first winter with birds.

83887_100_2444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom