Your experiences..... (coons)

When I caught a fox in a live trap, I had baited it for a few days and let it take the bait then I set the trap and caught the fox. It had been coming out in the middle of the day and killed a bird that was dust bathing in a garden bed. I was seeing it regularly after the kill. It was probably lurking, looking for an opportunity and found one. I don't know if it would work with coons. I have seen them on my cameras but they have never, so far, bothered my birds.

We caught a coon in a live trap last night and relocated him to a very remote area. I know I shouldn't relocate one once it's trapped, but I can't shoot a trapped animal. That said, our coon problem is at an epidemic right now, and I've shot and killed 5 that weren't in traps in the last week. They were starting to come out in the daytime and when I would try to shoo them off, they would get aggressive. I know they weren't sick--they just knew when the food was put out and were pissed when I wouldn't let them have it. I am not a fan of raccoons.

PLEASE don't relocate raccoons!!! It's probably illegal in Ohio too, and it's not doing either the raccoon or anyone else any favors!
Mary
Well said. They are beautiful, intelligent and downright amazingly adaptable animals, but that is where the trouble starts. We have many different types of animals around and hands down raccoons are the most problematic. They will waste many dollars worth of feed if they can get to it. They will decimate poultry, and demolish even large plots of sweet corn. Few people hunt or trap them these days and the numbers have grown exponentially over the last few decades. I also believe that the large numbers of these animals can pose a health risk to pets and livestock as well.

Back
Top Bottom