your experiences with Brahma roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoChick, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:TJ was dispatched. Rowdy and Cash went to a new home. There was just too much chaos going on with all those teenage hormones.

I will be keeping one of the bantam cochin cockerels out of the soon to hatch eggs. I don't think I can depend on the polish roo "Ozzy" to protect the flock.

Sorry you had to dispatch TJ, and I hope Cash and Rowdy are repaying your efforts to find them a home and are being good roosters protecting the flock and not attacking anyone. Do you still have Impy or did he get eaten finally too ?

I warned him...did I not warn him about a hundred times? [​IMG] He was a good flock protector and a good daddy to chicks, but he never got the hang of mating hens without tearing their backs up and he was downright terrible to my other flock (the brahmas). Plus he had this annoying habit of crying wolf - sending up the alarm call over nothing. Keep my hens on edge all the time.

Rowdy and Cash now live with my original rooster Zeus on a farm with 80+ hens. I told the folks that took them that I didn't care if they ate them but they were so taken with them they decided to keep them. They were good boys, just too rowdy for my small flocks.

2. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Awww now you've gone and hurt her feelings. [​IMG]

3. LilyD

LilyD Crowing

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My Coop
    I love the trahmas. My husband thinks they look like franken chicken lol. [​IMG]

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Songster

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i have buff and light bramas they are great pets

5. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Songster

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:Sorry you had to dispatch TJ, and I hope Cash and Rowdy are repaying your efforts to find them a home and are being good roosters protecting the flock and not attacking anyone. Do you still have Impy or did he get eaten finally too ?

I warned him...did I not warn him about a hundred times? [​IMG] He was a good flock protector and a good daddy to chicks, but he never got the hang of mating hens without tearing their backs up and he was downright terrible to my other flock (the brahmas). Plus he had this annoying habit of crying wolf - sending up the alarm call over nothing. Keep my hens on edge all the time.

Rowdy and Cash now live with my original rooster Zeus on a farm with 80+ hens. I told the folks that took them that I didn't care if they ate them but they were so taken with them they decided to keep them. They were good boys, just too rowdy for my small flocks.

I figured from reading about Impy that he would end up lunch one day. Know about your Polish rooster, I don't think he will be a good meat bird, with the Polish hens I know they don't tend to have much breast meat or really any meat all. They are really just feathers, skin, and bones with not much thought in between. Know a Polish rooster might be different, but you might get more money out of reselling him to someone who just wants a pretty lawn ornament that a good meal.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I warned him...did I not warn him about a hundred times? [​IMG] He was a good flock protector and a good daddy to chicks, but he never got the hang of mating hens without tearing their backs up and he was downright terrible to my other flock (the brahmas). Plus he had this annoying habit of crying wolf - sending up the alarm call over nothing. Keep my hens on edge all the time.

I figured from reading about Impy that he would end up lunch one day. Know about your Polish rooster, I don't think he will be a good meat bird, with the Polish hens I know they don't tend to have much breast meat or really any meat all. They are really just feathers, skin, and bones with not much thought in between. Know a Polish rooster might be different, but you might get more money out of reselling him to someone who just wants a pretty lawn ornament that a good meal.

Oh we don't plan to eat Ozzy the polish or re-home him. He's not a bother at all, just not a good flock protector either. I have plenty of hens to keep two or three roos happy. Ozzy keeps being his good natured self and he'll have a home for life.

7. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Songster

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:I figured from reading about Impy that he would end up lunch one day. Know about your Polish rooster, I don't think he will be a good meat bird, with the Polish hens I know they don't tend to have much breast meat or really any meat all. They are really just feathers, skin, and bones with not much thought in between. Know a Polish rooster might be different, but you might get more money out of reselling him to someone who just wants a pretty lawn ornament that a good meal.

Oh we don't plan to eat Ozzy the polish or re-home him. He's not a bother at all, just not a good flock protector either. I have plenty of hens to keep two or three roos happy. Ozzy keeps being his good natured self and he'll have a home for life.

I have heard mixed results when it comes to Polish roosters, I guess just like any other. Just they are sillier than other roosters, at least he will be smaller than some of your hens. Also I won't be surprised if he ran into things because of his topnot. Polish though can be long lived birds, some of the longest I knew were two of the silliest hens alive Whichaway and Wrongaway who despite running into things lived to be eight years old. They might be a fragile and silly breed but if they don't run themselves ragged laying eggs. So if a predator, the heat or their own stupidity doesn't get them killed. They might end up being some nice lawn ornaments for years to come. And they are sure of heck cheaper than keeping pheasants or peacocks around as decorative birds.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    kitmarlowescot2, thanks for the input.

Ozzy the polish cockerel avoids me like the plague, which I consider a good thing. He still sees well despite his crest. The little polish pullet is my sweetheart. She gets regular trims, but somehow I think she's just ditzy and her vision is not the issue. [​IMG]

9. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My experience with brahma roos - I just got soaking wet running them in the coop because they were too dumb to go in by themselves in the pouring rain!

That's okay, I still love the big idiots!

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

And he was probably looking at you like...what's this crazy woman doing out in the rain???

Rain doesn't hurt them, neither does sleet or snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: