Your Favorite Rooster Breed And Why

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
Is it his crow? Is it all those feathers? Is it his way with the ladies? What behavior or characteristics do you love in your rooster? Which breed do YOU feel makes the perfect rooster?

I've not been around many different breeds of roos like most of the board users have, but I KNOW that my RIR roo is a good one! He is very protective *but not aggressive* of his ladies, and when I'm handing out treats or uncovering goodies like worms/bugs, he will check it out, then do his special cluck to call the girls over and then back away so they can have first pickings. He's such a gentleman...
big_smile.png
He is very good about keeping tabs on their whereabouts and keeping them together (for the most part; we do have 3 guineas, and one of them has a tendency to wander off away from the group, so she gives him a bit of a hassle). If an overhead threat (hawk, heron, airplane,
wink.png
etc. appears he quickly herds them to the closest safe place, either back into the run/coop or onto the covered patio and under the planters & shelves. He doesn't LIKE being picked up, but he will let me pick him up and love on him. His name is Sarge, because when I first saw him, I could picture him as a human in Army fatigues, leaning against a fence with a long piece of straw dangling from his lips... *IDK, just my wild weird imagination, I guess*
lau.gif
idunno.gif
I hope he accepts and is protective over the new chickies I have inside getting ready to become outside chickies (6 BO, 2 BR, 6 RIR all supposed to be pullets, but 1 BR and 1 BO are starting to look a bit suspicious IMHO). Thanks for letting me brag on my big beautiful boy!

and BTW, he does have a loud proud "here I am, World!" crow!

Last edited:
Great post! I, too, can picture Sarge as a human, and I haven't even seen him as a rooster.
lol.png

One of my Leghorn cockerels put the jump on one of my bantie hens today. SHE DID NOT LIKE IT. Don't know if that makes him a good potential rooster or not.
lol.png

Quote:
All of the above!!!

Our lone Silver Spangled Hamburg roo was/is the free rare breed from McMurray Hatchery. When we got our day-old chicks from MMH, we "opted out" on the free mystery chick but they sent him anyways and at the time (last May), we were rather mad about it. And then he began to grow on us. The other boys (we ordered straight run) were "typical" rowdy, trouble-makers...the SSH, always the gentleman.

We chose our breeds for "eye-candy" at the time and our lone SSH roo has changed our whole poultry perspective, if you will. He's supposed to be from a flighty breed, and while he's not a "cuddle bug, lap chicken" he puts up with me and takes care of the entire flock! He's gorgeous, personal and very protective. We'd planned on putting him in the stew pot, sooner as opposed to later, and now I've got SSH hatching eggs coming in May since we've decided he's such a keeper.

Here's Romeo...

47b7cc22b3127cceb1b347657a6a00000005100FYtm7ho2Y-

Dawn

Picture139.jpg

He is my absolute favorite Rooster. His name is Roosa and he is fabulous. He is an Ameracuana.
caf.gif

I only let Barred Rocks in with my girls.

What makes me like them? I watch them with their 'following' of hens, just mesmerized by his scratching. It's like they're hanging on his every word. So for me, Plymouth Rocks are my favorite breed.

Of course, regardless of breed, you're always going to get some @#$%s.

My absolute favorite so far has been my silkie rooster... Big Daddy. He was the best there was. I could write word for word what crtrlovr did and how he was with his girls. I never had to worry about moving a broody either because he was protective and took care of the chicks as well... his girls loved him and preened him all the time. He was just the best. I lost him about two weeks ago. God I miss him...
Misc006.jpg

I am sorry SILKHOPE, I know I would be lost without mine. I can only imagine how you are feeling.
sad.png

Favorite : Orpingtons......big and fluffy, hardly ever aggressive and great personalities.
Least Favorite : Seabrights......everyone we've ever had was mean!

Barred Plymouth Rocks, hands down. RIP, Hawkeye, King of Roosters, the Best of the Best. He would have laid down his life for his girls. He was patient, kind, attentive, gentle with the youngsters, pullets and cockerels alike, selfless, calm, non-aggressive, sociable...I could go on and on about him. His son, Zane, is even friendlier than he was, loves being held, comes when called, doesn't mind being picked up.
Second choice would be my Blue Orpington rooster, a gentle giant of a roo.

Back
Top Bottom