Your favorite turkey breed(s)

Lone Wolf

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I would love to hear what breed(s) are your favorite and why
smile.png

I like my black spanish turkey. He is nice, friendly and doesnt mind that he is the only turkey, he never gets into trouble is not noisey and is just a sweet turkey and has never had any health issues. He forages well too.

I like my cross breed turkeys. They are friendly, amusing and beautiful. I didn't raise these guys, but they still follow me around, answer when I whistle at them, and will even come find me if they can't see me. Plus they are they first to alarm when something strange comes in the yard or a hawk flies over.

As to what they are? The guy I got them from said Narragansett, but after Toms feathers came in,(they were molting when I got them) I got to thinkin he didn't look right.I ask on here, and after different guesses I emailed Kevin Porter , and he said Oregon Gray that was impure.I was a bit bummed when I realized they weren't Narris, but by then we were friends.So I have Tom and 4 hens, and 3 Spanish Blacks.

Last edited:

As to what they are? The guy I got them from said Narragansett, but after Toms feathers came in,(they were molting when I got them) I got to thinkin he didn't look right.I ask on here, and after different guesses I emailed Kevin Porter , and he said Oregon Gray that was impure.I was a bit bummed when I realized they weren't Narris, but by then we were friends.So I have Tom and 4 hens, and 3 Spanish Blacks.
just curious, they get along well with chickens? I used to have a mean one and chases them all the time !!

They get along fine with my chickens. One of them seem infatuated with my Dominique rooster, and follows him. If the banty roosters are fighting they will break it up.They do run the chickens out of the favorite dust bath spot sometimes, but not in a mean way.They just move in and take over.They have less tolerance for they guineas, and chase them some.They ignore the ducks. All of them eat side by side when I throw out scratch.

Supposedly they are almost two years old, I don't really know, but I think they were raised with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom