Your First Poultry

Growing up we had red sex-links and some ducks that I would help with and I remember my dad had "attack geese" that scared the bageezers out of me when I would visit. Once I moved out I went with quail that lived in my bird aviaries, but 4 years ago I came across some silkies and fell in love with all the different chicken breeds. now have my quail plus a varied flock of chickens plus ducks and now guinea fowl.

When I was eleven my family and I lived at a friend's farm for about a year, I cared for 50 chickens and hatched a handful of broods in the time we stayed there. When we moved away, we took three step-sister RIR x EE mixes. We still have two ( one passed away from an unknown cause) and they are both about four years old now.
Those three started us out strong, and we have built up our flock with different pure and mixed breeds throughout the last few years.
( We now have eleven hens and a rooster - and are letting the broody hens hatch chicks this season )
edit: we are up to a flock of 14 chickens and five ducks!

Last edited:
weirdly my parents had chickens when i was born so ive had chickens my whole life! of couse parents took care of the chickens till i was 4? maybe 5? somewere around there...

Hello all!
Hope everyone is happy and doing well! 👍 🙂

A question I have been wanting to ask on here for a while is, What was YOUR first poultry you owned and how old were you when you entered the world of poultry keeping?
I started when I was about 10 I guess. My parents got me a smallish coop and run for my birthday and shortly after that we got 2 Rhode Island Red/Light Sussex hens and 2 Black Rocks. They were my best birthday present ever!
Ever since that day, poultry (chickens especially) have been a huge part of my life and have given me hours of entertainment and something to do when I'm feeling down.

Over the years I've kept numerous breeds of chicken and other types of poultry which has been an exciting journey!

I would LOVE to hear your stories of your first step into what has bought you here today!

P.s staff, if this is in the wrong section then please feel free to move it.
10 Khaki Camble ducklings at the age of 7

Hello all!
Hope everyone is happy and doing well! 👍 🙂

A question I have been wanting to ask on here for a while is, What was YOUR first poultry you owned and how old were you when you entered the world of poultry keeping?
I started when I was about 10 I guess. My parents got me a smallish coop and run for my birthday and shortly after that we got 2 Rhode Island Red/Light Sussex hens and 2 Black Rocks. They were my best birthday present ever!
Ever since that day, poultry (chickens especially) have been a huge part of my life and have given me hours of entertainment and something to do when I'm feeling down.

Over the years I've kept numerous breeds of chicken and other types of poultry which has been an exciting journey!

I would LOVE to hear your stories of your first step into what has bought you here today!

P.s staff, if this is in the wrong section then please feel free to move it.
Fun question, thanks for asking it!
My family did a lot of poultry when I was younger, and I was pretty much responsible for them from day one, but they weren't my birds. My parents had a flock of layer chickens and did about 25 turkeys each year and processed them for meat. One year, to my surprise, they kept back a tom and a hen turkey and said I could have them and try to hatch eggs, if I wanted. I don't remember how long I had the turkeys, but I feel like it was less than a year. The female laid a bunch of eggs, but never sat on them consistently. She unfortunately got attacked by our large German Shepherd puppy and didn't make it. The tom died a few months after from unknown causes.
I have always loved all kinds of animals. I have been married for 6 years now, and my husband and I just bought our house with plenty of land in Dec to have all the animals we want. First thing on my list was ducks. We had a friend that was moving and gave us their six pekin ducks, three females and three males. We pretty much immediately butchered two of the drakes so the ratio would be better, and then I got a small flock of runners from craigslist. It's been touch and go from there! 🥰

Wow! So many of you have grown up around chickens. I started when I was 41 ;)
I'm 35 and I'll have my first flock this year. I wasn't really properly introduced to chickens until last year and I have unfortunately gone off the deep end wanting my own flock. My family incubated and raised four last year, and I can't wait for mine to come through the mail!

Back
Top Bottom