Your on your own chicken!

Millie, my RIR, free ranges. She eats very little laying feed. Probably cuz she's the only hen out there. She eats horse food the horses drop, (sloppy eaters), bugs, etc. Her crop is always full. I put crushed egg shells out for her and she nibbles on those and rocks. I also give her treats.

I'm on 6 1/2 acres, she stays close to the house, so probably runs about an acre, if that. She'll go to the far pasture when I rotate the horses to it, though.

It will be interesting when I get the other ones home. They are still living downtown, where chickens technically aren't allowed. LOL

* my grandparents & greatgrandparents were from Kentucky.- Mom told me one thing the chickens got during the depression was wild "skunk weed" seed---- but the kids were told it was poisonous to people-- but not the chickens.
wink.png
yuckyuck.gif
We tend to forget that it was a livestock feed staple nowadays. . . .It's wonderful chicken food BTW-- if expensiue--- My pet store sells it for parrots. I don't grow the stuff-- family tradition or not. . . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom