Your Perfect Rooster?

Blue laced red Wyandotte.
I have them and they have great temperments.
Want my babies to have that kind of comb and be winter hardy.
I think the BLRW roosters are the prettiest things.

I dissagree... Its no more my business what my neighbor is doing than his bussiness what im doing... But maybe thats why i live in the country on a farm instead of in town or citys with people that *****... and the hate as you call it is because i really disslike people making laws others have to live by to accomadate themselves... Beit chickens, guns, marijuana, whatever... Live and let live... If i had my way i would replace "made in china" on american flags with "to each his own" ... in the end i dont think its right that so many roosters are culled simply because they are a burden to people... Do i make them get rid of their barking dog?? No, i mind my business

The blue laced red wyandotte is interesting... We planned to get a hen of this breed anyway, maybe we will switch it to a roo

Some people just can't stand roosters. The noise is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and my family. We are allowed to have them here but we won't keep any anymore after hearing them crow 24/7 (seriously, it would be like midnight and I'd still hear roosters). I am all for live and let live and individual rights but sometimes those rights infringe upon other people's rights, and what do you do then? There's nothing wrong with being courteous of neighbors... just like I don't want to live next to drug dealers, dogs that bark all day, or people who burn all day and let the nasty smoke and ashes filter into my yard, I can't fault someone for not wanting to hear roosters.

Anyway, if I had a big enough place that I could put the rooster faaaaaaaar away from the house, I'd want to breed d'Uccles and French Marans. I am fascinated by those two breeds. :D

Last edited:
Where does it stop?? today my neighbor doesnt like my rooster so i cant have it... Tommorrow, perhaps he doesnt like my cow bellowin so i will get rid of that... Then perhaps he will find issue with my miniature donkey (which is way worse than a rooster) ... Then maybe he will disslike my guine hens being loud as they are... Then what?? Then we start making legislation saying no roosters allowed and only allowed to have the following breeds of hens??? Gimme a break... I really disslike crying babys, but if my neighbors baby is crying do i have the right to complain about my rights to quiet time?? no, i dont... You cant use individual rights as an excuse to take away anothers individual rights... Well, i guess you can, but that doesnt make it right

Taking away peoples rights never bothers the people trying to take it away... But they never see the future... Today its my right to have a rooster... Tomorrow its your right to have a radio on in your garage

Where does it stop?? today my neighbor doesnt like my rooster so i cant have it... Tommorrow, perhaps he doesnt like my cow bellowin so i will get rid of that... Then perhaps he will find issue with my miniature donkey (which is way worse than a rooster) ... Then maybe he will disslike my guine hens being loud as they are... Then what?? Then we start making legislation saying no roosters allowed and only allowed to have the following breeds of hens??? Gimme a break... I really disslike crying babys, but if my neighbors baby is crying do i have the right to complain about my rights to quiet time?? no, i dont... You cant use individual rights as an excuse to take away anothers individual rights... Well, i guess you can, but that doesnt make it right

Taking away peoples rights never bothers the people trying to take it away... But they never see the future... Today its my right to have a rooster... Tomorrow its your right to have a radio on in your garage

WOW lots of anger...No one has the right to infringe on an other persons peace...I turn my radio on and go out side to the fence if I can hear it there than it is too loud...I was taught to respect others...Live and let live is just another way of saying "I will do what I want even if it infringes upon you because I am the only one that matters." We had a neighbor that was dying of cancer and wanted to die at home the kids next door to her were allowed to blast their music as loud and when ever they felt like it with no regard for her. They had the same attitude of I can because it is my right. Well the rest of the neighbors started to call the local police each time they felt we all wanted to listen to their music or the revving of their motor cycles and it finally came to a stop. See we do not live in this world alone. Just be considerate of others.

Most roosters would be fine by me as long as they don't flog me. One's that flog me get eaten. I don't want to breed that characteristic into my chicks.

Is flogging when they fly up at you? Ours became food because he was attacking us. I do want to get another roo as our hen (his side kick) has taken his place but is too aggressive with our other hens so she is separated from the flock. We want a roo that will keep peace within the flock and be good with the humans that will be feeding and caring for him. Loved to him crow in the mornings as he had a very pleasant crow not all rattled like our neighbors roo which by the way crowed all the dang time very hard to sleep in the summer especially when you get up at 4:00 am for work.

I also have a Brahma roo and i think another one growing right now. I was curious what this groups opinion was on when a rooseter is acutally "agressive". Let me clarify....my rooster has never flogged me or hubby but has jumped my youngest son (he is 3 and chases the girls) I dont want to sound heartless but technically the rooster is just doing his job. Is it wrong to just lock him up when the kids are out playing?

Last edited:
Our roo was attacking for the sake of attacking he thought the 3 acres were his and we should not be out unless we were going to feed and water him. While cleaning up their yard he flew at me full on and that was the last time he did I kept chucking my shoes at him till he thought I lost my mind after that when I was out he steered away but he still attacked my grandson and father in law. Their safety comes first and beside this he was not letting the girls eat he would chase them away if I did not stay out there till they all ate. You have to use your judgement on what is best for your family and roo. It can be a hard call sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom