Your Perfect Rooster?

Where does it stop?? today my neighbor doesnt like my rooster so i cant have it... Tommorrow, perhaps he doesnt like my cow bellowin so i will get rid of that... Then perhaps he will find issue with my miniature donkey (which is way worse than a rooster) ... Then maybe he will disslike my guine hens being loud as they are... Then what?? Then we start making legislation saying no roosters allowed and only allowed to have the following breeds of hens??? Gimme a break... I really disslike crying babys, but if my neighbors baby is crying do i have the right to complain about my rights to quiet time?? no, i dont... You cant use individual rights as an excuse to take away anothers individual rights... Well, i guess you can, but that doesnt make it right

Taking away peoples rights never bothers the people trying to take it away... But they never see the future... Today its my right to have a rooster... Tomorrow its your right to have a radio on in your garage

There's a reason why roosters are considered a nuisance / noise violation in many settings even when other livestock--which can be noisy--like hens, horses, cows, etc are allowed. The noise of a rooster is very loud and jarring and travels for miles (or at least it seems like it). Especially since this forum is called "Backyard" Chickens and not "isolated farm chickens", lots of us here live pretty close to neighbors... I have 5 acres but it's a narrow piece of property, meaning my house and my neighbors house are only about a half acre apart. We can hear noises from each other's yards. Just like I've asked them not to burn branches and trash up against my fence so I have to smell the disgusting fumes all day, and they (mostly) stopped out of courtesy, I don't want to have roosters and annoy them. It's a courtesy thing, not a "let everyone control you" thing.

If my OWN roosters, which I truly enjoyed, bothered me and disrupted my sleep/peaceful time, I can only imagine how annoying it is for people who don't even own/like roosters! Sure, I could fill my yard with roosters without violating any laws... but I prefer to consider how others feel, not just myself.

Also... if my garage radio was blaring, I'd consider the neighbors to have every right to complain.

Last edited:
I have 2 White Rock roos and they are just about perfect, except I wish they were Partridge instead. We had a gorgeous Partridge roo but he started attacking my toddler and therefore met his demise. I haven't had a bit of trouble with these 2, they stay out of my way but protect their ladies. We live out in the country so they can crow as loud as they please, I love that sound.
love.gif

Where does it stop?? today my neighbor doesnt like my rooster so i cant have it... Tommorrow, perhaps he doesnt like my cow bellowin so i will get rid of that... Then perhaps he will find issue with my miniature donkey (which is way worse than a rooster) ... Then maybe he will disslike my guine hens being loud as they are... Then what?? Then we start making legislation saying no roosters allowed and only allowed to have the following breeds of hens??? Gimme a break... I really disslike crying babys, but if my neighbors baby is crying do i have the right to complain about my rights to quiet time?? no, i dont... You cant use individual rights as an excuse to take away anothers individual rights... Well, i guess you can, but that doesnt make it right

Taking away peoples rights never bothers the people trying to take it away... But they never see the future... Today its my right to have a rooster... Tomorrow its your right to have a radio on in your garage
Here's a good example for you. A man in a town decided to start a salt business. There were no zoning laws in that county because the people thought the way you do. The man placed the giant industrial salt piles on beds of rock. Then he started to see water ponding, which was dissolving his salt, so he dug two dry wells and put in a solid drainage pipe down to a local creek. The local creek happened to be 15 feet from the town's water supply wells. During a dry fall, the outfall from this man's drainage pipe was running pure brine into the dry creek bed, which of course infiltrated the aquifer. The town's water became pure salt water--as salty as the ocean. The aquifer is ruined for at least this generation, and the plume of salt water is moving toward the wells of the next town downstream. The town tried to find a new well site, but the only one they could find has a lot of iron in it--which is why it wasn't used in the first place--and the rust and hard water has ruined everyone's plumbing and clothes and appliances. Is this an example of live and let live? Under your philosophy, those townspeople should shut up and mind their own business.

Here's another one: A man puts in a wood-fired boiler to heat his home. He knows it will smoke, so he puts it as far from his home as possible. That happens to put it less than 20' from his neighbor's house. His neighbor's white house has now turned gray. She is being treated for asthma from smoke inhalation. And the worst part is that her daughter had a lung transplant, so of course can't be around smoke. Now the poor woman can't sell her house--because honestly, who would buy it, with that smoke plume that's there even in the summer so her neighbor can heat his home and pool--so she had to send her daughter to live in another state. The daughter will never be able to move back and be with her mother because the new lungs should never be around smoke. The neighbor basically destroyed two lives so he could have cheaper heat. But the woman and her daughter should mind their own business and live and let live, right?

These are just two of the examples I have seen with my own eyes. I moderated the hearing for the town I mentioned first and got to hear over 650 angry people ask me what I was going to do about that man--but the townspeople had voted down zoning because they didn't want anyone to infringe on their personal liberties, so the man had violated no laws until the salt hit the creek and they were doomed. Now, when I bought my house I specifically wanted a place with zoning--I can't do everything I want with no hinderence on my land, but my neighbors can't either, and that is a great thing.

Your point of view is pure selfishness. You can do what you want until you harm another. And if your rooster is, for example, stopping a third-shift worker from getting any sleep because it crows all day, you're harming them. And if your neighbor has to sleep with the windows shut and spend money for air conditioning instead of sleeping with the windows open and turning the AC off because your roosters crow at 5am, then you are harming them.

Here's a good example for you. A man in a town decided to start a salt business. There were no zoning laws in that county because the people thought the way you do. The man placed the giant industrial salt piles on beds of rock. Then he started to see water ponding, which was dissolving his salt, so he dug two dry wells and put in a solid drainage pipe down to a local creek. The local creek happened to be 15 feet from the town's water supply wells. During a dry fall, the outfall from this man's drainage pipe was running pure brine into the dry creek bed, which of course infiltrated the aquifer. The town's water became pure salt water--as salty as the ocean. The aquifer is ruined for at least this generation, and the plume of salt water is moving toward the wells of the next town downstream. The town tried to find a new well site, but the only one they could find has a lot of iron in it--which is why it wasn't used in the first place--and the rust and hard water has ruined everyone's plumbing and clothes and appliances. Is this an example of live and let live? Under your philosophy, those townspeople should shut up and mind their own business.

Here's another one: A man puts in a wood-fired boiler to heat his home. He knows it will smoke, so he puts it as far from his home as possible. That happens to put it less than 20' from his neighbor's house. His neighbor's white house has now turned gray. She is being treated for asthma from smoke inhalation. And the worst part is that her daughter had a lung transplant, so of course can't be around smoke. Now the poor woman can't sell her house--because honestly, who would buy it, with that smoke plume that's there even in the summer so her neighbor can heat his home and pool--so she had to send her daughter to live in another state. The daughter will never be able to move back and be with her mother because the new lungs should never be around smoke. The neighbor basically destroyed two lives so he could have cheaper heat. But the woman and her daughter should mind their own business and live and let live, right?

These are just two of the examples I have seen with my own eyes. I moderated the hearing for the town I mentioned first and got to hear over 650 angry people ask me what I was going to do about that man--but the townspeople had voted down zoning because they didn't want anyone to infringe on their personal liberties, so the man had violated no laws until the salt hit the creek and they were doomed. Now, when I bought my house I specifically wanted a place with zoning--I can't do everything I want with no hinderence on my land, but my neighbors can't either, and that is a great thing.

Your point of view is pure selfishness. You can do what you want until you harm another. And if your rooster is, for example, stopping a third-shift worker from getting any sleep because it crows all day, you're harming them. And if your neighbor has to sleep with the windows shut and spend money for air conditioning instead of sleeping with the windows open and turning the AC off because your roosters crow at 5am, then you are harming them.

Agreed.

No... To each his own doesnt mean im the most important person in the world... It means i wont complain about what you do on your land, you dont worry about what i do on mine

I dissagree... Its no more my business what my neighbor is doing than his bussiness what im doing... But maybe thats why i live in the country on a farm instead of in town or citys with people that *****... and the hate as you call it is because i really disslike people making laws others have to live by to accomadate themselves... Beit chickens, guns, marijuana, whatever... Live and let live... If i had my way i would replace "made in china" on american flags with "to each his own" ... in the end i dont think its right that so many roosters are culled simply because they are a burden to people... Do i make them get rid of their barking dog?? No, i mind my business

The blue laced red wyandotte is interesting... We planned to get a hen of this breed anyway, maybe we will switch it to a roo
I wouldn't want people to smoke and shoot everyone. Is that what you mean by live and let live? Everything to be legal?

I have lots of roosters and love them all. I have never been attacked by any. Some are louder than others and they do tend to crow back and forth, ALL DAY. After reading some of the posts I may have to do something about it. One fellow, a barred bantam cochin named Little Dude is particularly persistent in his crowing. He is such a gentleroo though and an excellent father. I also have an EE/cochin mix named Thor who is awesome. A big blond who is as gentle as can be. My French Black Cooper Marans rooster, King Louie, is also a perfect gentleroo. Calling his girls to all sorts of tasty treats. I love them all but I have to admit the crowing gets on my nerves as well.

So...this got way off track! But what I have concluded is that it is up to the individual rooster and how he was raised. I mean 40 people could have rooster from the same parents and 20 of them would still be naughty i suppose. I honestly think roosters from less productive breeds are less agressive with their girls. If you think about it they are bred for production so if you have to keep 7 eggs a week fertile the roo has to be working over time where as a roo from a breed that the hens average 3 eggs a week wouldn't have to be as diligent. This has no scientific backing it was just a pattern I noticed. Also crowing usually is more frequent when more than one roo is kept. I have noticed mine only crows when the girls are laying so around 2:30 pm we have egg songs and crowing all over the place. He also crows more frequently when in the coop / run when they free range he is much more quiet..not sure why this is so.

Basically if you are getting any birds and you live in close proximity to others it is common curtosey to inform them and listen to their concerns. If someone informed me about their new puppy/chicken/teenager(haha) then I am much more likely to be flexible if an annoyance arises.

So...this got way off track! But what I have concluded is that it is up to the individual rooster and how he was raised. I mean 40 people could have rooster from the same parents and 20 of them would still be naughty i suppose. I honestly think roosters from less productive breeds are less agressive with their girls. If you think about it they are bred for production so if you have to keep 7 eggs a week fertile the roo has to be working over time where as a roo from a breed that the hens average 3 eggs a week wouldn't have to be as diligent. This has no scientific backing it was just a pattern I noticed. Also crowing usually is more frequent when more than one roo is kept. I have noticed mine only crows when the girls are laying so around 2:30 pm we have egg songs and crowing all over the place. He also crows more frequently when in the coop / run when they free range he is much more quiet..not sure why this is so.

Basically if you are getting any birds and you live in close proximity to others it is common curtosey to inform them and listen to their concerns. If someone informed me about their new puppy/chicken/teenager(haha) then I am much more likely to be flexible if an annoyance arises.
There is no correlation with the number of times a rooster mates a hen and the number of eggs she lays. The rooster doesn't know how many eggs the hen lays, and it isn't necessary to breed a hen more if she lays more eggs per week.

In many cases, the way a rooster is treated has very little to do with how aggressive he is. Search here on BYC and see just how many hand-raised pet roosters turn on people who considered them pets. These are birds that were lap birds, but now are flogging anyone who comes near. So you can treat a rooster as kindly as humanly possible, and he could still turn out aggressive when he hits sexual maturity. Aggression in roosters seems to be partly genetic. A nasty rooster will often have aggressive offspring, no matter how they're treated.

I have a Rhode Island Red rooster. BIG boy. He was not treated as a pet at all, although he isn't afraid of me. He's not aggressive at all, and isn't hard on my hens.

Back
Top Bottom