Your Thoughts and Prayers Please!!!!Update Pg 3

It is very common for even the most alert person to develop confusion and agitation in the ICU. The senses are overwhelmed with the lights, the noises, the strangers frequently waking and moving you. This is known as ICU syndrome. It can last several days or even weeks.
Another factor that may be contributing to your Mom's confusion is her low blood counts. Having a low Hemoglobin compromises your ability to transport oxygen to all parts of your body including the brain-which can cause confusion. I am sure that the ICU staff are closely monitoring your Mom's oxygen levels and blood counts.
Anesthesia can also make a person a bit goofy for awhile.
If your Mom's CT results are negative this is very good-No major strokes or bleeding in brain.
Talk to the Physicians caring for her. Make a written list of your questions and ask them to explain your Mom's condition to you. Talk to the Nurses They are your allies in fighting for your Mom. Please Don't assume that the people caring for your Mom are trying to hide something. ( I know another post eluded to that) These people are professionals and your Mom is a priority for them.
My prayers are with you and your Mom.

Many thoughts and prayers coming your way.

As a former ICU nurse, I agree with the above poster. Many times, the ICU makes people completely disoriented, and with all the medications she's most likely got onboard from the surgery, it is possibly making the confusion worse.

Also, make sure they're running blood cultures, if they haven't all ready. She may have had an underlying infection that is contributing to the confusion.

Good luck, hon.
Keep us posted.
Em

We ended up calling the hospital back and they had to put her in restraints and give her something to calm her down so she would rest. The nurse also informed us they have called in another doctor for today who is going to go over her medications she has received and see if there is a correlation with behavior vs. medication.

It could be medications and hopefully if it is and they figure them out today. My Grandpa had surgery on his shoulder and was completely confused afterwards and ended up with an extended stay until they could figure it out. Turned out it was his regular meds interreacting to the ones from surgery. Once they straightened his meds out he returned to normal.
hugs.gif

UPDATE

Got home late last night so was unable to update. The pschologist (sp) came in and went over all her medications. We asked him about the patch that was located behind the ear that was given for nausea and he wanted to know what strength it was because someone neglected to put it in the chart. Of course we didn't know. He said he would put his money on the patch being the culprit and he would stop in today and assess her again, this day being the over 24 hour removal period. She is showing improvement so we are thinking it was the combination of medications. They were able to remove the restraints. She had 1/2 cup of jello, YEAH. They did an echocardigram to check for fluid around the heart, she has been retaining alot of fluid, and to see what damage she had during surgery but have not gotten those results yet.

After leaving the hospital and getting on the interstate my dad became violently ill. The closes place to stop was his personal care doctor. They called an ambulance and took him to the hospital (a different one). No word on what is going on there. So now he is also in the hospital.

My son fainted in math class yesterday and had what they tell me is a short shaking episode. He has a doctors appt. this morning and then we are going to visit the grandparents. He has been having dizzy spells. I know they are gonna want to draw blood and he is very very afraid of needles.

I'll update more when I get home tonight. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I told my momma I had her on every prayer chain between Maine and Cali. That made her smile
smile.png

Last edited:
Geez, when it rains it poors at your house! That would be 3 so hopefully things take a turn for the better!

I pray everyone will get better today and if their problems can't be solved in one day at least found and treatment started!

hu.gif
g
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I agree miss_jayne!!

Clucky chick, I wish I knew your momma's name, man does she look familiar. Maybe PM me and let me know. I grew up in Grandview area and my MIL lived in Basehor, KS for a while. She just really looks familiar! I will keep your whole family uplifted today and until we get good news. Hugs to you.

Hello all!!

Mom (Pat) is doing well today. They are gonna try to sit her up this evening and see how she does. She is talking and carrying conversations. We had a very nice visit today and she got to see new visitors. I took her grandson to see her today since her husband couldn't. We told her that he stayed home not feeling well and it was to cold for him to get out.

Dad (Jerry) was admitted to the hospital and is doing ok. They aren't sure what's going on and are continuing to run test. We have to get in full gown regala to visit him.

The contagious disease doctor from mom's hospital is calling the contagious disease doc. at dad's hospital to see if/what measures need to be taken to protect mom from whatever he could possibly have since he was with her all day yesterday.

My son is being scheduled for an EEG and MRI and hopefully those will go well.

Thank You all!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom