Your thoughts on NPIP testing...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Whitehouse Quail, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but only because I have to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I don't want to on principle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I am to lazy to do it! :-)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I don't have the need for it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Specify below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I keep hearing pros and cons, and people saying they will only buy from NPIP breeders.

Are you NPIP tested? Or should I not go about this?

Thanks!

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would like to be, but there are pigeons in the same building as my chickens right now, so I can't get tested until I move my birds. I plan to, specifically so I can ship eggs to many more people.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm getting my testing done on Saturday morning, actually. I think it's a -really- good idea, to be honest. They test for things that can spread to humans and you really don't want those things in your flock anyway. I think it's a great step toward keeping a handle on infectious diseases in livestock, having to have this certification to ship. I know some people ship eggs without this certification, but it really should be done. I know there are others who are afraid if they get tested their birds will be carted off to be culled but the reality is that those birds endanger the rest of your flock, nearby flocks, and anyone whose flock you visit after your own. If it upsets you to lose the birds I understand, and I will be sad to lose any of mine if they have to take them Saturday, but if you're not doing the certification because of that reason, then you DON'T understand the risk.

Though, I certainly understand not doing it because of the cost. The people coming to test our birds want $1 per bird on top of the $25 registration. However, I have to know my birds are clean, for my own peace of mind and the peace of mind of anyone visiting or buying eggs or birds from me. However bad the cost is, think of how much worse it would be to find someone got sick, or you sold a bird that got someone else's flock sick or even dead. No thanks!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I keep my chickens isolated from other flocks and only bring in NPIP flock tested chicks.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    My annual renewal testing is tomorrow morning. There are some flaws for sure.

Example:

Aug. 26, 2010 - We are tested for our annual renewal
    Sept. 15, 2010 - We purchase birds that are not NPIP tested already.

Can we now be considered NPIP certified? The true answer is no, but I'm sure many folks do. Also, they only test birds of breeding age. Apparently some states tell flock owners that they can only purchase eggs from NPIP sellers. My tester says it doesn't matter, they will be tested when she comes out again in one year. In the meantime, I sell chicks from those eggs. Are the NPIP? NO!!

So much of being NPIP is a matter of being honest, purchasing birds and eggs from only NPIP certified folks (as long as they are also honest).

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I was tested in May. I basically did it so I didnt have to mess with bringing the birds to get tested to show, and so that I could ship live birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by