Youtube has completely freaked me out

I know it is SICKENING!!!!! Those poor chicks, no wonder lots of them die or come to people injured!!!!
I don't buy mine from Hatcheries either.....Tossing them around like rag dolls...It id just animal cruelty IMO !

Quote:
I can see your point of view. We have decided not to support the industry. It's going to be a more difficult process getting the birds we want, but we are going to rely on local farmers.

YouTube can be scary. I started out watching the hatchery videos - YIKES! Then I wanted to find out how a pullet acts/sounds when she's getting ready to lay an egg (since I have 7 who are 20 weeks old - and so far, no eggs) - and those videos will scare you, too! You have to be ready for reality before clicking on them.

Dead and injured chicks cost the hatcheries money so if they are getting other than a very small percentage of them they are going to do something to correct that. I've watched the video and others like it besides and do not see anything wrong with what I saw. I've ordered hundreds of chicks through the mail or bought them from local feed stores who got theirs the same way. I have had occasional losses from poor handling by the post office, but never any that were a result from poor handling by the hatcheries. Chicks are not made of crystal. They are not as fragile as some seem to think.

I do get the occasional chick that was weak from the incubation process, but then I get the occasional chick that was weak from the eggs my own birds laid that I incubated and hatched at home. It can be reduced, but it's never going to be entirely eliminated.

By and large the hatcheries do a good job of handling their chicks. It's their livelihoods. Dead and injured chicks have to be replaced or refunded which costs them money so they would soon be out of business if it exceeded other than a very small percentage. Even chicks hatched at home are subject to (hopefully rare) accidents. You can reduce the occurrence but nothing is ever going to entirely eliminate it.

A.T. Hagan :

Dead and injured chicks cost the hatcheries money so if they are getting other than a very small percentage of them they are going to do something to correct that. I've watched the video and others like it besides and do not see anything wrong with what I saw. I've ordered hundreds of chicks through the mail or bought them from local feed stores who got theirs the same way. I have had occasional losses from poor handling by the post office, but never any that were a result from poor handling by the hatcheries. Chicks are not made of crystal. They are not as fragile as some seem to think.

I do get the occasional chick that was weak from the incubation process, but then I get the occasional chick that was weak from the eggs my own birds laid that I incubated and hatched at home. It can be reduced, but it's never going to be entirely eliminated.

By and large the hatcheries do a good job of handling their chicks. It's their livelihoods. Dead and injured chicks have to be replaced or refunded which costs them money so they would soon be out of business if it exceeded other than a very small percentage. Even chicks hatched at home are subject to (hopefully rare) accidents. You can reduce the occurrence but nothing is ever going to entirely eliminate it.

2x and I do buy from the hatcheries as well. They are pretty tough critters! The weakest will die and the strongest will survive.​

Watch a broody hen with her chicks. She pecks them to discipline them and often walks on them or even catches one when scratching. They usually bounce back up and keep going. I don't consider the hatcheries cruel, inhumane, or brutal at all, even with the sexing. They are gentler than a lot of mother hens.

Maybe you should avoid watching Youtube?

Last edited:
The You Tube Video did not bother me at all. That is the hatchery for commercial farmers for eggs ands meat. Even if you wanted you could not get your chicks from them, unless you’re a farmer. The video that I like is "The Chicken Cannon". It shows how tough these chicks are.

The conveyor belts must be so scary! I feel bad that my chicks had to go through that!! They are happy and healthy though, so I guess I dont mind... the only thing i thought was when they separate the chicks from the eggs, what if there was a really fat chick and it didnt go throough the bar thingys and then went to a rendering plant! o.o

Back
Top Bottom