Yuck!

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just ate my first home raised cornish x meat bird. I let it sit for three days before freezing it. I thawed it out yesterday and cooked it today. I am not sure I am even going to bother finishing the 4 week olds I have outside. I might sell them all to someone else ASAP. It was 3-4x tougher than chicken bought at the grocery store. I figured it would be a little tougher, but this was just too much for me. I know some people like tough meat, but to be honest I don't even like nice cuts of steak because it is too tough. Not sure what I am going to do with the 23 I still have in the freezer...

I let my birds rest for 4 to 5 days. Maybe try letting one defrost completely and then set for a couple more days in the fridge. I won't cook them until the leg moves without resistance.

That is too bad. We did Cornish X's in April and every one we have eaten so far has been great! I cooked them in crockpot, oven, fried and grilled. We let them rest until the leg was easy to move, which for us was only about 36 to 48 hours, then freezer, thawed and cooked. Try pressure cooker or crock pot. How old were yours when you processed? We processed at 7 and 8 weeks. We are doing Red Rangers this time around and hope they are as tasty as the X's were.

Back
Top Bottom