Yummy treat?

i generally stick with chick starter grower food only until 8 weeks. then food scraps of any kind are fine. just make sure chick feed is primary diet still

I started feeding my chicks treats at 3 days old. First it was rollie poly bugs and worms, then it was anything that wiggled lol. Grubs, caterpillars, termites, etc. I also gave them hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, grass cut up, dandelion leaves cut up, etc.

It's all a personal preference. Some people say you shouldn't cuz they get all their nutrition from the chick starter feed. Others, like me, believe it's what they'd be eating while with mama hen, so it's natural for them to have the treats...just not a LOT of treats so they can get what they need from their feed.

Thank you both! I'm not sure if I'll wait longer or not. Last night when I put them in their outside brooder I saw some roly-polys and kinda wondered if they would eat them but didn't end up doing it. I had seem someone comment on another post that they do strawberries, raisins, "mush", yogurt, etc and didn't know if there was a certain age that you could start things like that.

And do they need to have grit before eating "extras"? I was going to get them started on it anyways, I know it's needed. When I picked up all my supplies for the chicks the sales lady helping me didn't mention grit and I didn't even think about it until a few days ago.

-Katie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom