Zamzows Spring and Summer Lawn food and Crabgrass killer okay for chicks and/or chickens

blondiebee181

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Boise, ID
Hi, my mom just fertilized the lawn with this stuff on Friday or Saturday (3-25) and it's so nice out today I was thinking about taking the 2-ish week old chicks and duck out to play in a patch of grass. It says that the stuff is safe for children and pets, but I wasn't sure about young chicks or chickens for that matter...anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Playing on it would be fine, but they will start eating it, and that could be bad. Look at the label and I bet you will find that it is not safe forage for livestock; that would apply to chickens as well. If you have an area that was NOT treated, then take them there. Otherwise, keep them off the grass and any treated areas.

I am going to keep them off until the fertilizer beads soak in. The guy at Zamzows says it's made from natural organic compounds and should be totally fine for chickens to scratch and eat...guess I could have called them first, lol but maybe this thread will be helpful to others.

Natural organic compounds are not necessarily safe. Lead, mercury, castor bean, arsenic, botulism, toadstools and some wild mushrooms can be deadly. If it is toxic enough to kill weeds, I would certainly want to know exactly what was in it before even thinking of allowing my birds to eat it. I would not rely on hearsay that it is safe.

Good to know, I will be checking out the ingredients for sure...It'd be helpful to see if anyone else on here has used the same program and had issues or not...

The fertilizer is all natural. I've seen dogs eat half a bag...then they needed a drink and were fine. The standards prevented is a chemical covering corn cob, after it is watered the chemical washes into the soil and is fine.

I just looked at their website, and that product wasn't listed.
You should look up the MSDS on this product, on your computer. You can also look at the FARAD site for information about approved and unapproved products for chickens.
Get accurate information, and then you'll know how to go forward.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom