zeta, Roxanne & Blanche

MarylouBunny

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
Hi, I am new here. I live just outside Silicon Valley on a 1/3-1/2 acre and have a coop plus a secure bigger yard for 3 chickens. Not giant 8 x 10. They turned one year old yesterday. Roxanne, a rhode Island Red, Zeta, a barred rock and Blanche a Salmon Favorelle. They are all egg layers. I get 2 to 3 eggs per day. They are free range mainly unless I see the hawk in the neighborhood and then I entice them into their yard. which is totally safe. When the sun came out last week ( we have had a lot of rain) I let them out and watched their daily activities...It's like they are Kardashian hens. They came out when I opened the door, had a snack of weeds in the yard, then took dust baths, another snack in the corner with leaves where they can find bugs and worms. Good I thought, so went to sit on the sofa in my yard, they climbed up next to me and unfurled their wings to sunbathe. What the heck, I thought, these hens are pampered so after the sun bath, more pecking and eating, Blanche is very vocal and makes noise at my back door asking for grapes....they all love grapes. They put themselves to sleep in the coop when the sun goes down. It is interesting, since having hens I am more in touch with nature. They know exactly what time they go into the coop. I have to pay attention to this and go out to lock them in...we have Opossums and Racoons in my yard.

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

EA0A699F-9866-4318-93E1-1DB73CBC112C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom