Zip Ties as Leg Bands?

Hey yall! I was wondering if anyone used zip ties as leg bands? If so, how do you put the numbers on the zip tie and keep it from rubbing off?

hi, I use zip ties as leg bands for my girls. I even get those metal slip charms and put on them. So each girls has a colorful band plus a leg charm to add some style.

I just make sure that then I put them on to make sure they are loose enough to account for any growth or swelling that could occur. I have been using them method to identify my girls for about 10 years. Works great! even better they cannot take them off. Just make sure to put them on all of your flock. If just one member has a leg band they will gang up on the one wearing the band and peck at it.

But, yea. They work great!!

how do you put the numbers on the zip tie and keep it from rubbing off?

I don't use numbers. If you need to do that I'd go with another way, wing bands or numbered leg bands.

I make a code from the colors. I don't know what information you are after or how many chickens you have so I don't know what code might work for you. My code is the color of the band on the left leg tells me what year they were hatched. I use colors and color combinations on the right leg to identify individuals. For example a yellow, a green, and a combination of yellow and green gives you three possible combinations for the right leg. If you add blue to the mix you are up to six possible combinations. Each color you add greatly increases your number of possible combinations. If your code allows three bands on a leg the possibilities go way up.

Your code needs to reflect the information you want to track. It could be totally different from mine.

If you have different colored chickens or different breeds you can repeat the code. For example I sometimes use the same code on a red chicken as a black. The feathers make them easy to tell apart.

I've never had a pecking problem with zip ties, whether they all have them or not. And I have used red zip ties, sometimes you read a warning about the color red. Red has never been a problem for me.

I don't use numbers. If you need to do that I'd go with another way, wing bands or numbered leg bands.

I make a code from the colors. I don't know what information you are after or how many chickens you have so I don't know what code might work for you. My code is the color of the band on the left leg tells me what year they were hatched. I use colors and color combinations on the right leg to identify individuals. For example a yellow, a green, and a combination of yellow and green gives you three possible combinations for the right leg. If you add blue to the mix you are up to six possible combinations. Each color you add greatly increases your number of possible combinations. If your code allows three bands on a leg the possibilities go way up.

Your code needs to reflect the information you want to track. It could be totally different from mine.

If you have different colored chickens or different breeds you can repeat the code. For example I sometimes use the same code on a red chicken as a black. The feathers make them easy to tell apart.

I've never had a pecking problem with zip ties, whether they all have them or not. And I have used red zip ties, sometimes you read a warning about the color red. Red has never been a problem for me.

I wasn't sure at first about doubling up on the bands. you see my original thought was do one color for the year, so for example blue for my first year chickens. Then next year do a different color for any new chicks I hatch or buy. This way I have "groups" and can tell my older ladies from the younger ones.

I wanted numbers because some of the hens in this "group" look the same and I want to be able to identify them for future hatching/breeding records.

To me the advantage of the zip ties is that you don't necessarily have to catch the chicken to read a number. It doesn't help when they are on the nest laying though, the ties are hidden. Let's see, you have 12 chickens. I'll assume the chickens are all the same color.

#1 - yellow
#2 - green
#3 - yellow + green
#4 - blue
#5 - blue + yellow
#6 - Blue + green
#7 - orange
#8 - orange + yellow
#9 - orange + green
#10 - orange + blue
#11 - purple
#12 - purple + yellow

So five colors have you covered. Do not use clear, you can't see it. And avoid using colors that match the chickens' legs. For example, if the legs are yellow, do not use yellow. Use brown or red instead. Or some other color.

To me the advantage of the zip ties is that you don't necessarily have to catch the chicken to read a number. It doesn't help when they are on the nest laying though, the ties are hidden. Let's see, you have 12 chickens. I'll assume the chickens are all the same color.

#1 - yellow
#2 - green
#3 - yellow + green
#4 - blue
#5 - blue + yellow
#6 - Blue + green
#7 - orange
#8 - orange + yellow
#9 - orange + green
#10 - orange + blue
#11 - purple
#12 - purple + yellow

So five colors have you covered. Do not use clear, you can't see it. And avoid using colors that match the chickens' legs. For example, if the legs are yellow, do not use yellow. Use brown or red instead. Or some other color.
This is a great idea but I wanted to do one color for this years chickens and a different color for next years.

This is a great idea but I wanted to do one color for this years chickens and a different color for next years.
Or you could go left leg this year and right leg next year....that's what I do.
Do you plan on adding new birds every year?
I use colors for different crosses, sometimes add a second band for other reasons.
Then make notes so I remember which year is which leg...and what colors might denote...cause I CRS. :gig

Back
Top Bottom