Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

Dang! more of those cute colors I want so much!

My quail are done.... I had one pip internally and then die... when I checked, it was missing most of its beak!
th.gif
That is a first for me.

One quail hatched, and just couldn't get its act together, finally died... 13 peppy and chipper and great. Except that now that I have them out of the incubator and in the brooder, it seems like one is always peeping its head off!

But just one will peep, every one else looks warm and happy and running around... then they trade who is supposed to peep.
idunno.gif
I kinda think that happens to me every time I raise quail.

I have a very pretty blue one!

vimeo_logo.png

sorry to hear that. Are you going to give her any chicks to give company to the little one?
I hadn't planned to give her another chick, no. I figured it would have its mum for company. But she surprised me, and I had forgotten how many eggs I had given her lol. She has 2 cute little male CL chicks under her (so she did hatch 3 total).

8 went to lock down and 8 are out! I had to help 1 that was really badly glued to egg while halfway unzipped but all others hatched on their own even very with saddled air cells.

Gotta love those hatch rates =)

Thanks for telling us.... I am sure that I would have done the same....

I got 12 quail.... I have decided to sell them all... And maybe mail order quail later in the year... Or maybe not until next spring... Not sure. I am getting inundated with chicks, and I want to keep the quail cage full of chicks, not quail.

I need a kid to help me feed and water the quail that are still in the brooder.... The silly thins keep trying to hop out... And my brooder is full of chicks... And the quail cage in the coop is full of older chicks... I guess I could clean out the bathtub and move the tiny chicks or quail into the bathtub.... I have another set of egg that are supposed to hatch Sunday.

A LITTLE short on planning.... Huh? Luckily, the set hatching Sunday should all get sold, and the quail are getting sold... I am just waiting to see if the last two quail eggs manage to hatch and be healthy... Not sure yet.... And I kinda need to know how many quail I have before I can sell any.

I also have a lack of planning... my brooders are full of this last week's worth of hatches and I have a whole LG Hatcher full to hatch today and another flat just starting lockdown last night and a whole flat hatching at my friends house right now..... And I already moved three week chicks out to a pen with a babysitter...lol chicken math, I would blame my enablers but that wouldn't be fair.

Last edited:
I know I'm REALLY late to this party but I have a BCM hatching mixes for a friend on thursday or friday and another EE that is determined to hatch but as of now I have no where to put her so letting her stay on fake eggs till my BCM and her brood come out of the broody box and join the other girls in a few days, have any of you had issues with hens killing chicks that are with a broody or is that something I should be concerned about? I don't have a roo so i didn't know if they would be aggressive to them or not. I am worked about one of my red stars hurting them because i had a quail get in the chicken pen once (with no fence or anything around a 3.5 acer yard with wood all around she goes strait for the chicken coop
idunno.gif
) and she was pecking its feet

I know I'm REALLY late to this party but I have a BCM hatching mixes for a friend on thursday or friday and another EE that is determined to hatch but as of now I have no where to put her so letting her stay on fake eggs till my BCM and her brood come out of the broody box and join the other girls in a few days, have any of you had issues with hens killing chicks that are with a broody or is that something I should be concerned about? I don't have a roo so i didn't know if they would be aggressive to them or not. I am worked about one of my red stars hurting them because i had a quail get in the chicken pen once (with no fence or anything around a 3.5 acer yard with wood all around she goes strait for the chicken coop
idunno.gif
) and she was pecking its feet
Red stars are like that. They will drop everything they are doing and go after new comers.

I guess everyone's hatch was set for this Thursday/Friday except us. How is your hatch going?

I set mine on May 15. I have candled a few eggs. They seem to be doing well.
I am loving this GQF hova bator 1588. It is rock solid. My test hatch resulted in 43 chicks out of 49.
I set over 60 eggs this time. I need to figure out a way to put dividers in so I can seperate the different breeds

Back
Top Bottom