Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

OK, I set my quail eggs today... a BUNCH since my one male over 15 females is way too many for a good fertility ratio. After about a week I will candle and toss the clear ones.

Not sure how many "a bunch" is... maybe 30... but fertility has been at 50% or even a tiny bit less. Quail are supposed to be run 1 to 4

Today is day 3 and the power decides to go off! I dont know how long its been off for. Could be up to 12 hours! This is my first time incubating eggs so im pretty stressed out over this. I dont know when the power will return either. I went ahead and candled the eggs and one has two air bubbles that move when I turn the egg,what does it mean?

Today is day 3 and the power decides to go off! I dont know how long its been off for. Could be up to 12 hours! This is my first time incubating eggs so im pretty stressed out over this. I dont know when the power will return either. I went ahead and candled the eggs and one has two air bubbles that move when I turn the egg,what does it mean?
were the eggs shipped? That means they were handled rough during shipping and the air cells is detached partially or completely depending upon how far is moves.

If anybody need some pretty cool eggs...pm me. My girls are laying well. My bator will be full for a while. I ship well. References available. I have never had an unsatisfied customer. I do not have a disclaimer.
So that's what people are referring to when they say they have bamachicks hatching.

Oh yeah!!!! I'm lovin' mine. Set it and forget it. (almost lol) Going into lockdown tomorrow on the 16 Black Australorps I won and my own Blosl and XW Poultry White Rocks. No idea on hatch rate. But a LOT of movement. I will be doing the next setting on the 9-10th.
wee.gif
Awesome.
I screwed up and let the time get away from me spending most of the last few days completely redoing 2 of my breeder units.
I had eggs due to hatch the 4th, 5th and 6th. I woke up this morning, turned on the news and they said, "good morning, it's May 4th". I freaked out an ran down stairs to find eggs pipping in the turner (which was still on). Fortunately the bulk of the eggs are due on the 6th.
I quickly finished cleaning out the hatcher, filled the water reservoirs and turned it on. It came up to temperature in about 45 minutes and I transferred the 8 eggs that are due at 1pm today.
I'm warming up the LG for the 4 eggs due tomorrow.
Hopefully the ones that are already pipping will be out by tonight and I can move the 17 eggs due on Wednesday in then.

OK, I set my quail eggs today... a BUNCH since my one male over 15 females is way too many for a good fertility ratio. After about a week I will candle and toss the clear ones.

Not sure how many "a bunch" is... maybe 30... but fertility has been at 50% or even a tiny bit less. Quail are supposed to be run 1 to 4
Awesome. How did you end up with such a high ratio?

I wouldn't worry too much. In the first week a long cool period isn't the end of things.
Read this good summary from Brinsea about power outages.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

"If eggs are likely to be cooled for longer periods (more than 2 hours) the way they
should be treated depends upon their state of development. If the eggs are newly set
the best plan is to cool them fairly quickly down to 5 - 20°C (41 - 68°F) and hold
them in this range - put them in the fridge!

It may also be best to treat eggs this way up to about the 14th day, although greater
losses must be expected if severe cooling occurs later in incubation.
If power loss occurs when the eggs are near hatching, incubator temperature is less
critical, but severe chilling will cause mortalities. It is preferable therefore, to take
reasonable steps to limit heat loss by keeping the incubator shut and raising the
temperature of the room if possible. The metabolic heat from the embryos will keep
them warm for quite a long time."

Ty I'm not sure what types of birds they will be. I was chatting with bama and ravynfallen in the Easter HAL thread and mentioned I wanted Blue and green eggs. They both were kind and willing to add color to my egg basket.

Your eggs have shipped. I pm'd your tracking info. The 4 blue eggs will hatch Isbar x Cream Legbar (ice cream bars) or Marans x Cream Legbar (F1 olive eggers). The large pinkish eggs will hatch either white houdan x buff brahma (pink egger), Isbar x brahma (green eggers), or Marans x brahma (dark brown). The white eggs are white houdan x polish. The smaller cream colored eggs will be either white houdan x silkie or pure silkies.
Best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom