Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

@Junibutt, talking about ugly orpington chicks...

I received 3 mottled that had bare butts and backs. I promptly gave them away to a 4H. Yours is a super cool monster
it always seems I get 1 or 2 a year that goes to this extreme of nakedness. Give it a couple weeks and it will be 90% feathered.

Any advice on getting humidity down in humid weather? It has been staying between 48-56. I had filled the wells less than halfway when I set on Sunday but I just checked and they're empty now. I currently have popcorn cernals in halves of plastic Easter eggs in the turner...

Any advice on getting humidity down in humid weather? It has been staying between 48-56. I had filled the wells less than halfway when I set on Sunday but I just checked and they're empty now. I currently have popcorn cernals in halves of plastic Easter eggs in the turner...

I live in hot and humid southeast Alabama. I have best results doing a totally dry incubation for the first 18 days. Then I add some water to increase humidity for "lockdown". My humidity usually runs 28-38% without adding any water at all

I live in hot and humid southeast Alabama. I have best results doing a totally dry incubation for the first 18 days. Then I add some water to increase humidity for "lockdown". My humidity usually runs 28-38% without adding any water at all
Dry humidity is incubating below normal humidity levels. Normal is 55%.

28% is close to the bottom of safe incubation levels. It is too low for some breeds. Guinea hens, ducks, some turkeys and breeds with smaller white eggs like Dorking will have trouble at that low of humidity.

safe incubation humidity levels are 25 to 55%. Being within that range is good. Above and below is not good.

Temperature is much more important and is actually the most likely cause, when it is not within safe incubation levels, to cause sticky and shrink wrapped chicks. Save incubation is 98.5 to 100.5. It is best to be very close to 99.5.

That is one degree! Much much tighter than humidity.

Dry humidity is incubating below normal humidity levels. Normal is 55%.

28% is close to the bottom of safe incubation levels. It is too low for some breeds. Guinea hens, ducks, some turkeys and breeds with smaller white eggs like Dorking will have trouble at that low of humidity.

safe incubation humidity levels are 25 to 55%. Being within that range is good. Above and below is not good.

Temperature is much more important and is actually the most likely cause, when it is not within safe incubation levels, to cause sticky and shrink wrapped chicks. Save incubation is 98.5 to 100.5. It is best to be very close to 99.5.

That is one degree! Much much tighter than humidity.

Ok so I'm not terribly outside of the range... Temps have been holding well. My last hatches I kept the humidity between 35-45 no problem but that was during the nice Spring weather... @bamadude do you have AC? Is that how you keep the humitiy low? I don't have AC
1f612.png

Ok so I'm not terribly outside of the range... Temps have been holding well. My last hatches I kept the humidity between 35-45 no problem but that was during the nice Spring weather... @bamadude do you have AC? Is that how you keep the humitiy low? I don't have AC
1f612.png
Leave it at 35 to 45%. That is still a "dry hatch" and works for most breeds.

1f612.png

Yes we have an AC. It does lower the humidity inside our house quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom