🚨Wanted: Tips for Raising Hormonal Bad Boys

So the boys are just beating up the one girl. They seem to get along with everyone else for now.

Does the one girl stay confined or do they need to remove one of the mean boys?

There is no right way or one answer. I know.

We just need ideas on things to try to keep the peace for a little when longer.
I wouldn’t isolate her unless she’s bloody. I might isolate the roosters.

I wouldn’t isolate her unless she’s bloody. I might isolate the roosters.
Agreed!! This is a problem with the roosters. Separate whoever is going to be rehomed. Don't remove the poor hen and mess up the pecking order further and have her become more stressed upon reintroduction

Kiki this is kind of disjointed. Let me try to put together what I think is pertinent information.

You said hormonal, which means immature adolescent cockerels. You confirmed that later on.

I saw 9 cockerels but don't know how many pullets. I don't believe that strongly
in ratios anyway. I often have more boys than girls and no problems. I occasionally have more girls than boys and can have issues.

It appears to be one pullet that is the problem. The other pullets are having no problems. I don't see that as a ratio thing for sure.

Your goal is to keep all the boys alive until they get older. Not totally sure what is going on with that. Killing or getting rid of all or some of the boys doesn't seem a good way to meet this goal.

I'm still not totally sure I understand what is going on or the ultimate goal. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

To me this is not a flockwide problem, it is an individual problem and the individual is the one girl having a rough time. I don't like to treat an individual problem by treating the whole flock. I try to solve for the peace of the flock. If I had a pullet being this disruptive I'd probably eat her, but I don't see that as a desired outcome for you.

My first thought is to create a bachelor's pad. Separate all of the boys. This is not to keep the boys from fighting over the girls as is usual for a bachelor pad but just to isolate the one girl from the boys. Leave her with all the girls and see how she gets along. There is some reason the boys are picking on her and her alone. See if the other girls pick on her. There may be something wrong with that pullet. Or she may be trying to be dominant herself and the boys are having none of that.

Try to isolate the girl with two or three buddies to make reintegration easier. If you house them across wire while separated reintegration should not be that hard.

That's all I can come up with to meet the goals as I see them.

All the birds are the same age.
Let's pretend I'm trying to wait until everybody is full grown so I can decide which one or two roosters I want to keep.

Camp Cockerel

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/camp-cockerel.77789/

0618220638-jpg.3163928

Kiki this is kind of disjointed. Let me try to put together what I think is pertinent information.

You said hormonal, which means immature adolescent cockerels. You confirmed that later on.

I saw 9 cockerels but don't know how many pullets. I don't believe that strongly
in ratios anyway. I often have more boys than girls and no problems. I occasionally have more girls than boys and can have issues.

It appears to be one pullet that is the problem. The other pullets are having no problems. I don't see that as a ratio thing for sure.

Your goal is to keep all the boys alive until they get older. Not totally sure what is going on with that. Killing or getting rid of all or some of the boys doesn't seem a good way to meet this goal.

I'm still not totally sure I understand what is going on or the ultimate goal. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

To me this is not a flockwide problem, it is an individual problem and the individual is the one girl having a rough time. I don't like to treat an individual problem by treating the whole flock. I try to solve for the peace of the flock. If I had a pullet being this disruptive I'd probably eat her, but I don't see that as a desired outcome for you.

My first thought is to create a bachelor's pad. Separate all of the boys. This is not to keep the boys from fighting over the girls as is usual for a bachelor pad but just to isolate the one girl from the boys. Leave her with all the girls and see how she gets along. There is some reason the boys are picking on her and her alone. See if the other girls pick on her. There may be something wrong with that pullet. Or she may be trying to be dominant herself and the boys are having none of that.

Try to isolate the girl with two or three buddies to make reintegration easier. If you house them across wire while separated reintegration should not be that hard.

That's all I can come up with to meet the goals as I see them.
26 girls 9 boys.
All the same age.
First ever flock....not exactly sure What the plans are because they are figuring them out live/now.

This helps. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom