“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

My Coop Cup Holder~ Very important (often overlooked!) feature.. where oh where to put your coffee when you came out to 'just look at the chickens for a while' and all of a sudden realize that...hmmm.. their waterer is dirty or.... the feeder is running low.... or you want to pick some weeds to throw in the coop....

I used a target-starbucks shopping cart holder.

I just took a few minutes on my break to look through most of this thread but I did not look at every page yet (I;m at work, so that will be on my to-do list tonight!) but I did not see any of these yet. I don't be doin' no poopy water at my house! It's nasty and it is a full time job with chicks to keep their water clean. I make my own waterers for my chicks, I have about 8 of these now. This was my very first one I ever made, and I had to re-do the hanger on it because I found a much better way. I will have to take some more pics later. We save old bottles and jugs. Really you can use whatever you can get as long as it has a screw on lid and a place to attach some wire. I have one made out of a sprite bottle and I had to poke hole in it to run the wire thru the top and it leaks like CRAZY when you fill it up. Gatorade and Powerade bottles have nice grooves where you can wrap wire around for hanging. You HAVE to use a sharp knife and cut a few slits in the top or the water will not come out of the nipple when they go to drink if there is a vacuum. Drill a hole in the lid, screw in a poultry nipple Fashion some sort of wire hanger onto the bottle and hang it on your wire cages. Works best with small chicks if used in a cage with a top because you can only hang it so high. This last time, we used eye bolts to hang them from some wood in our brooder, they can be raised easily once you drill a pilot hole. Ours are outgrowing these smaller bottles, I plan on making some larger ones here soon. I'm not 100% sure on the ratio of nipples to chicks, but ours never fight over drinking water, we have no dirty poop water, and their bedding stays nice and dry. I use bricks under their water bottles and they absorb any leaks and dry before it can get to the litter EDIT: added new pics
I call this one the udder. Old vinegar bottle, some wire, poultry nipples and a drill... About five minutes of your time. Cheapest, cleanest, easiest waterer, this one is top fill unlike the others. I could have probably put four nipples on the bottom but I only had three at the time.
Made from a v8 bottle

Last edited:
For usings hens to hatch i use a compost bin with a door on the bottom for a Queit space for the hen all I have to do is to cut a widow out and put mesh on it and give it a floor. For that I either put it on top of some wood or cut out two halves try to slip them into the bottom.

I don't know if everyone else does this but...

I always check BJ's or Sam's club for cardboard boxes that would work as nest boxes. The boxes often even have dividers so you get multiple nest boxes in one box! And they are free! I always think "this one is just BEGGING to be a nest box" lol! Once they get gross you can just compost them or chuck them, unlike the wooden ones.

thumbsup.gif

Convert an old horse trailer into a chicken coop!
This long neglected trailer was hauled out of the pasture and painted. I covered the windows with wire and
build a top half to the door. It conveniently has an area for two nest and a little door to access them as well as a
small storage area for feed.

Quote: LOL just get a good one!!!!

CANDLER SUGGESTIONS

PowerLux Egg Candler

Product No. EC116 36.95
Hand held candler. Long lasting LED light. Use on white or brown shelled eggs to candle general embryo development. Comes with two easy to change end pieces for large and small eggs. Cord length 8 ft.
Looks like it works good post #237
this is my set up.....
I need to see into Marans and CCL eggs
1" foam pipe to LED light
image was posted for helping me from @R2elk here on byc but mine is the exact same now
LL

I also have a mic stand to use when I mark aircells, its alot easier with it to hold egg in one hand and write with other, not bothering with holding flashlight.

What I use after hatching so many marans, I needed a good one!
its a 3000 lums/lumens I researched to find the brightest I could get in the most handy as well as cheap! I have bought up to 1500 lums and couldnt see into dark blue eggs, now they look like I am candling a duck egg, very quick fast and done. Love it!
Well worth the money spent and the rechargeable batteries rock!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABXYKV6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
416QzywxWWL.jpg

400666275860_1.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400666275860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
3000 Lumen CREE XML T6 5-Mode LED Flash SOS Flashlight

Portable Adjustable Desktop Mic... $12.99

peachickie found this!!
http://www.amazon.com/APG-Lumens-Zoomable-Q5-Flashlight/dp/B012VMJP4G/

APG 3000 Lumens Zoomable CREE XM-L Q5 LED Flashlight Torch Zoom Lamp Light - 3 Mode Adjustable Brightness Waterproof Design Torch Lighting for Hiking, Camping & Outdoor Activity (Black)
  • Skid-proof, waterproofing design, "O" ring sealed.
  • Super Bright, blinding Effect, adjustable focus range for different usage.
  • Convex Lens Reflector; Clip for convenience carry.
  • Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.
  • Suitable for Self Safety, hunting, cycling, climbing, camping and outdoor activity etc.

List Price:$29.99Price:$6.99 & FREE Shipping\
61GZvqzgdbL._SL1000_.jpg

Quote: Hand held candler. Long lasting LED light. Use on white or brown shelled eggs to candle general embryo development. Comes with two easy to change end pieces for large and small eggs. Cord length 8 ft.
Looks like it works good post #237

I have something Cheaper and Better When I got it it was like 20$

51NLrOsx-ZL._SL1000_.jpg

Yosoo High Intensity Egg Candler Tester LED Cool Light For Incubator Brooder Chicken Quail
Price:$15.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
http://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Intensity-Candler-Incubator-Brooder/dp/B00X9T8TKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452907666&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=chicken+egg+candle&psc=1

• INCU-BRIGHT™ COOL LIGHT EGG CANDLER - INCUBATOR WAREHOUSE EXCLUSIVE... $12.99
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incu-bright-egg-candler.html
The absolute best candler you can get is an overhead projector cheap from a yard sale. Laugh all you want but it's the honest to God's truth.

I've gotten lazy and if I candle, I use the LED app on my iPhone 6 Plus. Except for BCM's, they get the projector.

USE YOUR CELL PHONE
LED LIGHT AP!
LL

lampe-de-poche-led-flashlight-11-700x393.jpg

BYC's

DIY Candler for dark eggs without hiding in the dark with 110 volts swtiched LED lighting 8 x8x16 inchs https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...110-volts-swtiched-led-lighting-8-x8x16-inchs

LL
Alkaline Battery Recharger for AAA, AA, C and D size Batteries

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ACH6BK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• 51UFaxKxs-L._SS40_.jpg
  • 4124jnaUZKL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41tRtHZr4DL._SS40_.jpg

• 51UFaxKxs-L.jpg

About the Product
  • total of 4 charging stations
  • 4 AAA or AA batteries, 2 C or D batteries or 2 AAA or AA and 1 C or D batteries at one time
  • Help benefit the environment and save money on replacement batteries.
  • Charges brands such as; Duracell, Eveready, Sanyo, Polaroid, Panasonic, and Rayovac
  • With the cost of a typical alkaline battery 6 pack ranging in price from $4.99 to $8.99, this unit will pay for itself in just a few re-charges.

Frequently Bought Together

• 51UFaxKxs-L._AC_UL115_.jpg
  • +
  • +
Total price: $36.82

After viewing Sally's mic stand candler and seeing the proper way to candle, we rigged up a flashlight to a music stand. This is a 320 lumen light with the lens removed so it makes a good seal.

A
BCM egg at day 7 (all the pics are day 7). Lights not strong enough to see veins, but we know there is a chick.
I got a new little flashlight for candling but wanted a softer cushion and a way to create less gapping between the egg and the end of the flashlight.

I was trying to think of what I had on hand that could work - weather stripping! It's cushiony (yes, that's a word lol) and sticky on one side, so easy to apply & work with - however, I decided I wanted to secure mine better with super glue once I had it in place.

So I super glued the weather stripping around the end of the flashlight and voila! A perfect cushion and great seal on the egg for candling! Even if you don't have weather stripping on hand, it's super cheap and easy to pick up!
1f60a.png

Edited by Sally Sunshine - 3/12/16 at 10:14am

Last edited:
HELPFUL TIP FOR WRY NECK CHICK!

I am currently treating a chick born with wry neck. This site has helped me enormously. I have followed all the recommended courses of treatment and we are not seeing great results but it's only been 1-1/2 weeks. I did find a way to support the neck so she can eat on her own and not fall backwards. It's a hair roller used like a neck brace lol. A spongy soft flexible dollar store hair roller. I formed it into a teardrop shape and cut the extra length off with wire cutters. Imagine hanging a hot show around her neck with the ends hanging down. Lightly squeeze the ends together so it won't slip off but be REALLY CAREFUL with the tiny little neck. Mine is a bantam Cochin so she's especially small. It has helped enormously with her stress level and flailing about! She is actually able to eat on her own although I am still dropper feeding her vitamin water. Oh! These rollers are available in different sizes for bigger chicks or full grown hems etc.

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT THERE! Y'all have been SO very helpful to me the last month so I'd like to repay the favor
2764.png

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom