2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Oh my! Two proud mamas with a partial clutch. What will happen to the rest of the eggs in the nest? When should I clean up all the empty shells?

Oh my! Two proud mamas with a partial clutch. What will happen to the rest of the eggs in the nest? When should I clean up all the empty shells?

That is so cute! I love the keets!

You can remove the shells at any time, I do it as fast as possible, since they just get in the way. If there are other eggs in the nest, I would put them in a incubator, even just a homemade one, to give them a chance at hatching.

Best of luck! And congrats on the clutch!
celebrate.gif

Candled this morning and I have 2/3 eggs developing on day 13 (One Black Ameracauna and one Black Australorp). 2/4 eggs developing on day 7 (One Easter Egger and one white egglaying mutt) these eggs were 6 days old when set and one of those eggs was extremely porous (Black Ameracauna).

@Ugadano I am sooo with you on this one!

When I win the millions, I'm going to build the ideal chicken palace, and get some high-dollar incubators, and a couple of dedicated generators, and a solar panel array...and multiple pastures with 10 foot diamond wire fencing...and predator proof chicken tractors...and separate broody houses....and grow all my own grains...and...
old.gif

Gita, you chicks are cute, and so glad they are doing well..eating, drinking, and pooping!

I can't incubate anything because we leave tonight for a week vacation.
I thought I'd clean the shells and leave the few eggs that were left, the mamas still sit in the nest a lot so I guess we'll see what happens. I just had a horrible accident - the hatch opened and the mommas went oustside to the rest of the flock - all the keets in tow! I got them back inside and latched the door but one keet fell in a puddle of water that was on a tarp! I Hope he warms up fast. Keets were popping out of the wires of the coop and running loose in the driveway- I just pray I got them all. I looked a bunch of times for any strays UGH.
Snapped some pictures of the strays though...

Them escaping out the hatch to the fenced portion of the coop. I wasn't worried until they started jumping through the wires to the real outside world!

Last edited:
I'm glad you seemed to get them all. I always worry about missing a chick and not noticing, but it can be hard to count more then 8 or so birds that are all moving and all look similar.

I'm glad you seemed to get them all. I always worry about missing a chick and not noticing, but it can be hard to count more then 8 or so birds that are all moving and all look similar.

I agree. I hatched 22 EEs in May. I think I still have 21. I know 1 died a couple of weeks ago. They dont all look alike but they are never all in the same place and not moving at the same time. Some are very adventurous and in the yard and some never go out into the big world.

Back
Top Bottom