2015 August hatch-a-long!!

And my guinea hens have been working hard to accumulate some eggs in the coop. 16 as of this morning. Surprised the snakes haven't found them. Nobody has volunteered to sit on them yet. So stinking hot here - 104 yesterday- the eggs might just hatch themselves.

The first two hatched on their hatch date. I had to help one along, she had me really nervous because I've never done that before and she kept bleeding so I took it slow. I had to chip almost all the shell off and open up the white softer part inside but she's out this morning along with two others. She was in a bit of a funny position. I have one that I may have to help this morning and at least two more starting to crack the shells.

So cute! Congrats on the chicks!
woot.gif

The first two hatched on their hatch date. I had to help one along, she had me really nervous because I've never done that before and she kept bleeding so I took it slow. I had to chip almost all the shell off and open up the white softer part inside but she's out this morning along with two others. She was in a bit of a funny position. I have one that I may have to help this morning and at least two more starting to crack the shells.

I am glad you got some chicks! I just wanted to mention, if you do want to help any out, that you only need to open up the end where their head is. You want to leave the whole half that their bottom and yolk is and they will push out when they are ready!

I have a pretty good zip starting in one of my RSL eggs. Here I go again. :)

Loving the baby pictures. And congrats to those that are also getting some...noises, pips, rock and rolls!

Chicks are due tomorrow, but apparently mine always come on day 20. Locked down on day 17, and left the house day 18 in the evening. Came home today, noon day 20, to 7 chicks and another popped out15 minutes later! I still have 2 zipping, at least 2 others just pipped, an theyre not due til tomorrow!

Chicks are due tomorrow, but apparently mine always come on day 20. Locked down on day 17, and left the house day 18 in the evening. Came home today, noon day 20, to 7 chicks and another popped out15 minutes later! I still have 2 zipping, at least 2 others just pipped, an theyre not due til tomorrow!
Hi, congrats on the chicks. I notice in the picture you have already moved them to the brooder. I am new at this and my first batch is in the bator. how soon after they hatch did you move them?
No pips for me yet but I have been getting some eggs moving a bit and also a lot of chirps. So loud you can hear it through the bator and 2 rooms away! I know that has to mean they are getting close to hatching. Do you have any experience as to how soon after they start getting so noisy in the egg that they will start to pip? I have unknown hatch days... long story but a couple of them should be due any time if not past due.

... Do you have any experience as to how soon after they start getting so noisy in the egg that they will start to pip? I have unknown hatch days... long story but a couple of them should be due any time if not past due.

I totally understand about the multiple and unknown hatch dates! So embarrassing for me when everyone else on here has much closer to clockwork precision figured out! Haha!

If they have pipped into the air cell, that's when they start peeping. I'm gonna guess within 24 hours they will pip externally and then it will get louder. Mine lately have been pipped 24 hrs before they start zipping, and some longer, and only the fact that they seem stronger and louder and active and responsive to clucks and other peeps has enabled me to resist the urge to 'help them' to death! I have learned so much on this forum! Thanks to all the ladies for sharing their experiences, both veteran and newbie, both good and bad. Helps me reduce the number of sad situations I will have!

As to the unknown hatch date, I just found about 14 in the tractor tire sand box/junk pile last night and from candling, some have some obvious development due to our over-100 degree days like ***bbgranch*** said, so all of them are in a warm outdoor place for today so I can get the current hatch over and put them in the incubator. It won't hurt them to have 1 day of high humidity this early, so I may layer them on the bottom and cover with a non-slip liner and put the other hopefuls on top till I have time to water-test them.

Good luck on the hatching and keep us posted, hopefully with some pics! God bless!

Last edited:
I am glad you got some chicks!  I just wanted to mention, if you do want to help any out, that you only need to open up the end where their head is.  You want to leave the whole half that their bottom and yolk is and they will push out when they are ready!

I tryed that with the one I helped out. It took over 24 hours before I took most of the shell. I tryed help in just with the unzipping part but she was having a hard time and seemed to be getting pritty exhausted.She seems ok now but theirs a first ttime for everything. I try hard to leave them be but im so excited I just want them all to hatch NOW.

Hi, congrats on the chicks. I notice in the picture you have already moved them to the brooder. I am new at this and my first batch is in the bator. how soon after they hatch did you move them?
No pips for me yet but I have been getting some eggs moving a bit and also a lot of chirps. So loud you can hear it through the bator and 2 rooms away! I know that has to mean they are getting close to hatching. Do you have any experience as to how soon after they start getting so noisy in the egg that they will start to pip? I have unknown hatch days... long story but a couple of them should be due any time if not past due.

My chicks were preemies, so I held them for a few hours and then put them in a small brooder. They were in intensive care for the first day of their lives. However, I hear you can take them out as soon as they can sort of walk. Just make sure they don't stumble into their water.

Mine start cheeping a day or so before hatching. When they start getting quiet is when you should worry, as they are loosing energy. Sounds like you've got some strong, healthy chicks.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom