2015 August hatch-a-long!!

thanks for the advise. It really looked like more than yoke sac and he was in so bad shape... he finally died late last night. hope I don't have to go through that with the last few eggs in the bator.

So sorry..you did so much for the little one too. :(
hugs.gif

Hi all,
We should be hatching August 29th, maybe the 30th. We have 28 in, but my husband cracked one already.
Anyway, we are new to BYC even though we've been following for years and researching.
Both of us grew up with chickens. My husband raised quite a few at a time on his own while he was a younger.
My family raised about 100+ every year for the freezer.

We're starting out simple, Barred Rock and RIR for the purpose of egg laying. Fingers crossed that we get quite a few hens.
I took the pic without the sponge and had to move the thermometer, but essentially we're 8 days in now. Yippee!
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome! Those are some pretty eggs..nice size!

Hi all, We should be hatching August 29th, maybe the 30th. We have 28 in, but my husband cracked one already. Anyway, we are new to BYC even though we've been following for years and researching. Both of us grew up with chickens. My husband raised quite a few at a time on his own while he was a younger. My family raised about 100+ every year for the freezer. We're starting out simple, Barred Rock and RIR for the purpose of egg laying. Fingers crossed that we get quite a few hens. I took the pic without the sponge and had to move the thermometer, but essentially we're 8 days in now. Yippee!:yiipchick
Welcome! Can't wait to get updates. Have fun.

They usually stay on for a few days, though it varies with the hen.

My hen only decided to stay on the eggs for an extra day. I candled and saw no movement but I am hopeful. Day 17. I added it to a makeshift incubator I made at the last minute, temperature was reading 97.7 before I went to bed and this morning it was at 80 degrees. I hope the baby is ok.

I've got a SIlkie on 5 cochin eggs due to hatch on Aug 23rd! I haven't done this before, so I'm a little nervous and excited at the same time. Mom is separated from the flock in her own coop. She's in a brooder box about 3 inches off the ground. My plan is to keep the chicks and her together for about 5 weeks. This is the Silkies first time as well, hope she's a good mother, if not, I guess I'll have to be the Mom. ha ha!

Ahh! So adorable! Are yours friendly? Mine are so scared of me since then hens are raising them. I'm disappointed
1f614.png

They just went into the brooder, so not old enough to be scared. I think you really have to handle the keets a lot everyday to get them tame and keep after it until they are bigger. I don't think I have that kind of time even with just seven. I will say that my first five I hatched earlier this year, who are now 14 weeks or so, follow me around in a little herd because they think I'm their mommy. Still, I can get near them, but not touch them.
Definitely different than chickens.

Back
Top Bottom