2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Congrats! They are all so good looking. I love that rooster :) we have 16 out of 20 hatched right now. Only one more made a tiny pip & the other have done nothing. I'll give them a while yet. All 16 are silver except the 3 with a leghorn mama. Crazy how strong that white trait is!

On day 22 and still nothing:he I'm picking up some new eggs today locally. I just got a hovabator still air. Any suggestions on what the temp and humidity should be? I want this hatch to actually work.congrats to everyone who got some babies this month!:thumbsup

Unfortunately none of the bantam eggs from the fridge developed, but previously I have pulled large fowl eggs that were in the fridge for up to 3 days and even added them to the eggs I was collecting so they sat in my basement for a few days before I started the incubator and they hatched,'
I'm not sure whether these didn't work out because bantams are more delicate or the weather has been hot and humid or the rooster was gone for a week before I decided to collect eggs.
But I love the breed. They're pets and follow us around, love to be picked up. With their curiosity they remind me of the cats of the bird world. Just hope the rest of these eggs hatch.

Last edited:
My little Silkies all dry and fluffed up and moved to the brooder
big_smile.png

AWWW! Silkies are on my "want to get" list. My husband had gotten one in a grab bag of bantams this past spring, but unfortunately it didn't survive.
sad.png

Ciry..love your silkies..P.O. is holding some silkie eggs right now..on my way..love them.

The little white one is from a leghorn egg. Should be a great layer if a girl. :) This is the dad, very young at the time of breeding! Will get quite big. Wish I could have kept him! He was a good boy. On a farm now. A happy camper with more girls I'm sure. :)
That is what my Roo looks like except for the hairy legs and feet! Yours is much handsomer than mine! Mine has big,thick legs. But the colors are almost identical. I'll send you a pic.

Went into lockdown today with 24 eggs. I'm a little bit nervous after candling. The air sacs are not near as big as I'd like them to be. They looked great at 12 days...but their air sacs haven't gotten much bigger since then. I'm holding off upping the humidity until they start pipping...maybe they will wait a couple more days and the air sac will grow some more....
fl.gif
Hoping for the best!

On a better note...I put the mamma heating pad into action with some chicks that I ordered instead of a heat lamp....they love it. I had two separate totes set up for the baby chicks. One had the mamma heating pad and the other had a heat lamp. The chicks with the mamma heating pad were happy and content from the very beginning. The chicks with the heat lamp chirped all afternoon. I love watching the baby chicks slid down the side and run back up on top of the mamma heating pad to do it again. They have their own built in slide.
lau.gif
So today I went back to town and bought another heating pad for the other chicks...they are much happier now.

In case you are unfamiliar with the mamma heating pad I put a link in this post about it (hope this works)....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Back
Top Bottom