2015 August hatch-a-long!!

@Gloryjasmine
No my mom does that all the time with her phone taking pics of other people's pics and pics off cameras too.

Ours looks identical to yours. At first I thought he was an bbr oegb but now I wonder about American game bantam. I can't find any pics of oegb with the grey feather shafts or down whatever it is at the base of the tail showing. But from pics it looks like American games always have that showing. So idk my guess is he's one of the two. We got Nugget out of the bantam bin at tractor supply this year.

And you're welcome. I just thought about that but wasn't sure so I decided to mention it.

Lol ok so your mama and I are both silly!!!
1f61c.png
1f61d.png
1f61b.png

Sooooo I have been trying to figure out what ALL of my birds are. That's how I came across Alley-Opps "roo" gene!!!! Lol I bet he was getting tired of being called Alley! Ha! So my husband and I know for sure he's a Banty. I've been researching exact breed. I would like to see your Nugget! (Lol talking bout her rooster everybody.....
1f601.png
lol) I haven't seen him yet,right?

Junebuggena:you've really got this whole "gene"thing down,doncha?! Wow I'm so naive to this. Learning though,and thoroughly enjoying it! So the 3 barred babes we bought from a feed store are supposed to be girls. But they all have a white spot on their noggin...??? What the?! Are you telling me that I have 3 Roos?
1f62a.png

Last edited:
Lol ok so your mama and I both silly!!!
1f61c.png
1f61d.png
1f61b.png

Sooooo I have been trying to figure out what ALL of my birds are. That's how I came across Alley-Opps "roo" gene!!!! Lol I bet he was getting tired of being called Alley! Ha! So my husband and I know for sure he's a Banty. I've been researching exact breed. I would like to see your Nugget! (Lol talking bout her rooster everybody.....
1f601.png

Junebuggena:you've really got this whole "gene"thing down,doncha?! Wow I'm so naive to this. Learning though,and thoroughly enjoying it! So the 3 barred babes we bought from a feed store are supposed to be girls. But they all have a white spot in their noggin...??? What the?! Are you telling me that I have 3 Roos?
1f62a.png
If you bought them as purebred 'barred' breed chicks, they are supposed to have the white head spot. Two barred parents will produce 100% barred chicks. Males can pass their barring to both their male and female chicks. Males get one barring gene from each parent. Females only get one barring gene, and it comes from their father. That is why purebred male feathering seems 'lighter' than the purebred female feathering.
When you cross a barred hen with a non-barred, not solid white rooster, you get black sexlinks. Only the males get the white head spot.

Lol ok so your mama and I both silly!!!
1f61c.png
1f61d.png
1f61b.png

1f601.png

Junebuggena:you've really got this whole "gene"thing down,doncha?! Wow I'm so naive to this. Learning though,and thoroughly enjoying it! So the 3 barred babes we bought from a feed store are supposed to be girls. But they all have a white spot in their noggin...??? What the?! Are you telling me that I have 3 Roos?
1f62a.png

If you bought them as purebred 'barred' breed chicks, they are supposed to have the white head spot. Two barred parents will produce 100% barred chicks. Males can pass their barring to both their male and female chicks. Males get one barring gene from each parent. Females only get one barring gene, and it comes from their father. That is why purebred male feathering seems 'lighter' than the purebred female feathering. 
When you cross a barred hen with a non-barred, not solid white rooster, you get black sexlinks. Only the males get the white head spot.

Ok hmmmmmm... All we know is what we were told. That they're purebred barred rocks. And all females. What should I be looking for at this stage,about 4 weeks now,to indicate their sex?

RIR cockerels usually start turning red in the comb pretty early. Males also get a darker shade of red on the their wings/shoulders and have mostly black tails, but these traits don't start to become obvious until about 6 to 8 weeks. Shape of the tail isn't as important as color of the tail. A pullet should have a more even amount of both red and black tail feathers.

Good god are Cochin Babtams super loud or did I just get a special one? I have 3 big kids out & 1 Cochin but I couldn't sleep cuz it just keeps screaming. So I opened bator & put it back in for the night. Another Cochin was hatched & 2 silky eggs have pipped!!! I should have a party by morning!!!

Good god are Cochin Babtams super loud or did I just get a special one? I have 3 big kids out & 1 Cochin but I couldn't sleep cuz it just keeps screaming. So I opened bator & put it back in for the night. Another Cochin was hatched & 2 silky eggs have pipped!!! I should have a party by morning!!!

So cute! I have never hatched Cochins, but every once in a while I get a super loud chick. Hopefully it will calm down for you! They usually quiet down for me once they are in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom