~ 5th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon! ~

Beautiful hen! (kitten's not bad, either
wink.png
)

Beautiful hen! (kitten's not bad, either
wink.png
)
It's my friend's hen and the kitten's mom is semi feral. My friend is out of town, so I sent her some pictures. Thought you all might enjoy seeing a very happy hen. Don't worry, Momma cat comes and feeds him.

Looks like I forgot to update! 10/16 are developing so far, a bunch were clear, but all but 1 fertile egg has good development and looks alive. :yesss:
-Banti

Way too much drama for this late in the hatch. I have 3 broody turkeys, 2 of which were co-brooding. Apparently, they had a tiff. #2 has left the box and stolen #3's nest. I took #3 a new box, but she wasn't happy with the fake eggs. Not sure if it was the eggs themselves, or that there were only 4. I did get her to stay on the nest, but only after she tried getting hers back and then had a tug-o-war with #1's eggs. They were scooping eggs out from under each other, so I stepped in and moved #3 again. I decided to take her some chicken eggs from the incubator, which she happily scooped under her. So I have 35 chicken eggs and 22 turkey eggs for this hatch. All the turkey eggs are under broodies. I gave #3, 7 chicken eggs and I'll give her a few more tomorrow if all is well.

Hope everyone's hatch is going well with a lot less drama.

Way too much drama for this late in the hatch. I have 3 broody turkeys, 2 of which were co-brooding. Apparently, they had a tiff. #2 has left the box and stolen #3's nest. I took #3 a new box, but she wasn't happy with the fake eggs. Not sure if it was the eggs themselves, or that there were only 4. I did get her to stay on the nest, but only after she tried getting hers back and then had a tug-o-war with #1's eggs. They were scooping eggs out from under each other, so I stepped in and moved #3 again. I decided to take her some chicken eggs from the incubator, which she happily scooped under her. So I have 35 chicken eggs and 22 turkey eggs for this hatch. All the turkey eggs are under broodies. I gave #3, 7 chicken eggs and I'll give her a few more tomorrow if all is well.

Hope everyone's hatch is going well with a lot less drama.
And I thought broody chickens were enough drama! Glad I don't have Turkeys as well.

I have a 3rd hen that is broody now as well but they are all in separate areas. None of mine have eggs yet I am not sure I will give any to them either but we will see. I have 1 hen in my broody busting cage, 2 others in different nests. I am planning to let one of the two keep brooding and raise my next generation of birds.

They are out early! Is the egg turner still on or did you shut it off? Have you ever had any issues hatching them with the egg turner still in place? I have always taken it out and laid the eggs on their side for hatch.

They are out early! Is the egg turner still on or did you shut it off? Have you ever had any issues hatching them with the egg turner still in place? I have always taken it out and laid the eggs on their side for hatch.

I have always taken the egg turner out as well.

Hatching update: My last April hatch looks like I might have some late bloomers to join my 5 turkey eggs for Cinco de mayo.

I'm in! I'm expecting 18 on or very near Cinco de Mayo, 18 fertile eggs including 7 rocks, 8 blue silkies, and 3 white silkies.

Good thing the Mexican Restaurant is RIGHT down the road, or I wouldn't be able to tear myself away! Yummy Nacho Fajita Mix!

And I thought broody chickens were enough drama! Glad I don't have Turkeys as well.

I have a 3rd hen that is broody now as well but they are all in separate areas. None of mine have eggs yet I am not sure I will give any to them either but we will see. I have 1 hen in my broody busting cage, 2 others in different nests. I am planning to let one of the two keep brooding and raise my next generation of birds.
I want my chickens to go broody. I had one, but she quit. I have another that I'm hoping will stick with it, but I need to move her and I don't mean on the same property. The turkeys all stayed with it even with the move. The chicken did for 5-6 days, then decided it was more fun outside the nest box. I have 2 more turkeys thinking they might be broody. If everybody goes broody now, they'll be done sitting and off raising the chicks before it gets crazy hot.

Back
Top Bottom