8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Mine are still turning in the turner every time i take the turner out the temp drops and never goes back up so im just gonna set them ontop the turner to hatch

Meet Tiny, my little early bird :)

Super cute!

Off the turner cradle and in lockdown here. I did a quick candle and they are all alive.
fl.gif

Lock-down commenced! It is a good thing I used Hatch-a-batch to track these; with my wedding being this week, I'd have forgotten to lock down my eggs otherwise.

At least 1 duckling is internally pipped. It was cheeping like mad when I had the incubator open.

Hope I didn't miss anything important in the last 224 posts: totally NOT going to catch up on those :)

I think I remember a picture of you and the GF. Do you have any wedding pictures? Was there a Duck on the cake?

Just did my lockdown candle--I have 2 that are at least internally pipping, with one of the 2 maybe pipped! There's teeny bits of movement in others, with a couple looking not quite right. Nothing smelly, though, so all 11 are staying.

Chicks will be out soon!
Well, isn't that just cool!
woot.gif

I've been wondering this lately...and when you mentioned about your duckling, I remembered to ask.
Thank you for that info! I love the stuff I learn on here.
love.gif
We learn every year!

Aww all these baby chick photos! Adorable!! Congrats everyone! I had my last remaining egg hatch...but it died.....i found it dead in the incubator....it was only just starting to fluff..
sad.png
so sorry!!

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd post here as well....

One of my Silkies hatched last night. She zipped, then seemed to get stuck, and couldn't get the shell off. After more than an hour, I used tweezers to help her. The membrane was completely dry where she had zipped and her feathers had dried to it in some places and I had to help her get it off. So far she is the only one (out of 4) to hatch (and I'm starting to worry about the others...). It's nearly 7pm now and she hatched out at 1am and she's still sticky (no yellow goo, but quite dry and crusty- not fluffy).

I just took her out of the incubator and put her in the brooder and she's not walking right. She's not standing on 2 legs, but rather kind of shuffling along. She seems alert and very 'cheepy.'

Anything I can do to help her?

*Project Resurrecting Rosie*
sounds like you had some incubator issues, possibly old eggs, you can rinse the chick off, warm water, none in its nostrils, be ready to warm it right back up too

CHICKS Wet? Sticky? Stuck? Yellow Gel? What did I do Wrong? post #25379

Swollen abdomen? A WET chick? or infection post #24810
Eggtopsy possible Sticky chick post #35087

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
CURLY TOES Spraddle Leg TENDON Leg ISSUES post #42573 post #110393

Well this hasn't gone as planned. I set the eggs for a 21 day hatch. Or so I thought.

This started happening this morning day 18... and we are up to 12 with more hatching.
awesome!! just make sure the turner is turned OFF, lol

Ok. I've never seen hatching before. I need to see the zip pics...just to see the difference between that & pip. So exciting. I'm on my phone checking this waaaay too much
1f62c.png
1f602.png
1f604.png
TIMELINES PIPS ZIPS!!! & MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770

Update:

30 chicken eggs set 12/10/16
5 tossed because infertile or early death.
15 currently hatched and 4 pipped 12/29/16

Well, so much for a New Years Eve hatch. But, at least the hatch rate is going pretty good.
woohoo!

I put my eggs in the hatcher. Tossed a bunch but still have a lot left! Wondering what my Silkie/Showgirl ratio will be??
fl.gif

Lock-down commenced! It is a good thing I used Hatch-a-batch to track these; with my wedding being this week, I'd have forgotten to lock down my eggs otherwise.

At least 1 duckling is internally pipped. It was cheeping like mad when I had the incubator open.

Hope I didn't miss anything important in the last 224 posts: totally NOT going to catch up on those :)
WOOHOO!! cant wait to see the ducklings!!

Just did my lockdown candle--I have 2 that are at least internally pipping, with one of the 2 maybe pipped! There's teeny bits of movement in others, with a couple looking not quite right. Nothing smelly, though, so all 11 are staying.
fl.gif
good luck!!

Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now. I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD. So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate. On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F). I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

It would appear that most people are using an incubator for this hatch-a-long and I'm wondering who else is using a broody hen at the moment.

Mark
in Australia
Awesome that you have a broody! i dont think anyone else is using one for this HAL
welcome-byc.gif

Mine are still turning in the turner every time i take the turner out the temp drops and never goes back up so im just gonna set them ontop the turner to hatch
you can but the temp change is probably the location of the thermometer
is it still air or forced?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now. I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD. So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate. On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F). I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

It would appear that most people are using an incubator for this hatch-a-long and I'm wondering who else is using a broody hen at the moment.

Mark
in Australia

Keep us updated on the broody Hatch!

It is hot in Australia? We are having some cold weather here in Woodland.

idunno.gif

Candled mine before lockdown. I didn't see any movement, at all. Put them in cut out egg cartons. Now I'm concerned the eggs got x-rayed.
They were doing good when I replaced the humidity pump. I candled them then. I so wish I could have had local fresh fertile eggs.

Hoping for a few healthy chicks. My favorite Roo - Joey is lonely, I so need a few hens for him.
I shipped eggs to Puerto Rico. We believe they were X-rayed. There were several deformities and only 3 hatched. 2 boys and a girl.
Bummer.
Next time I'm sending him day old chicks.

Hi,

Mark
in Australia
Welcome.
So accidentally you joined the NYD HAL. I've done that.
Probably only southern hemisphere people with broodies but I've had broodies in November up here.
Good luck with your purchased eggs.

It's too cold out for me to reliably hatch with a hen right now. I do have a broody who is getting the chicks that hatch though.
My broodies that hatched in cold weather did just fine with them. I put a heat lamp over the food and water so they could eat and drink in comfort but she kept them warm when not in that space.
One batch I took away when it got down to single digits. I guess she thought she'd never see them again. 2 weeks later when it warmed up to the 30s I brought them back out. The reunion was amazing to see. She ran up to the carrier and I could tell she knew them and was overjoyed.

Quote:
Thanks for all your kind responses.

I've had a number of locals tell me that they never set hens in mid-summer. Oh well, you live and learn.

I ended up hatching 6 chicks 3 weeks ago and will post pics in the morning (Australian time). I acquired a dozen fertile eggs of unknown X breed parentage. I dropped one egg while placing them under the hen (doh!) and she ate a couple (I'm guessing they stopped developing). Seven eggs hatched but one chick was weak and only lived a couple of days.

It will be interesting to see how many of the Light Sussex eggs hatch. They were considerably more expensive than the X breed mystery eggs but they're a breed I'd like to include in my flock. Eventually I'd like to have all purebreds and an all black and white flock. Over time I hope to add Barred Plymouth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Araucana, Black Australorp and White Leghorn.

Having raised (but not hatched) chicks before I've decided it is MUCH easier to let a hen do all the work than messing around with heat lamps, etc.
Broody hen = no electricity used and no effort.

I love a mixed flock but I caution that if you want some pure breeds, limit your choices unless you have lots of time, space, pens and help.
I've had over 30 breeds but when I found my favorite, I eliminated all others or I wouldn't have been able to do justice to this one.

There was someone in AU a couple summers ago that successfully raised chicks under a broody when their temps were well into the 100s F. Setting hens are the best.
I think they put a fan in there and some frozen milk jugs.

I'm so jealous of all the pip reports! That said, keep them coming! I can't wait to get back home and park my hiney by the incubator!

I'm jealous of all the people that can candle their eggs and tell if the embryo is alive. As much as I love my eggs, all I can see is transparency or a big dark mass.

I'm hoping I didn't kill my chicks :'( I miscounted and took them out of the turner a day early. Today is day 21 and I'm not seeing the eggs move at all. My other hatches I have always seen the eggs wiggle the day before, but this time- nothing. Would locking them down a day early really do much damage? Or am I just impatient?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom