8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

@Chicken5555 awesome series of photos, thanks for sharing! And congrats too
clap.gif

Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now. I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD. So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate. On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F). I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

It would appear that most people are using an incubator for this hatch-a-long and I'm wondering who else is using a broody hen at the moment.

Mark
in Australia
want to say
welcome-byc.gif
there is also and Australia thread you can join
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island
nice you have a broody I am not to certain I have one but glad you found the site

Tiny has some brooder mates now :) another silkie, probably a splash, and one showgirl with another showgirl still drying in the bator :) Unfortunately, the last 2 showgirl eggs died before they pipped.

Back
Top Bottom