A Most Frightening Roaming Dog Pack Story

I get a kick out of those that eyeball a photo of alleged "hybrid wolves, 'yotes etc." and proclaim "it isn't a wolf(or??) hybrid because it doesn't have this or that.

So what - no one expects them to be show quality. A hybrid anything can look alot like either parent, or like neither of them. It doesn't have to have wolf eyes and a German Shepherds extreme angulation. Without genuine DNA testing - they are just a pack of 'dangerous animals 'that need to be eradicated.

It really doesn't much matter what it is-a pack of dogs, wolves, hybrid-whatevers, is dangerous when it's in a livestock killing rampage and should never be toyed with. Shoot and shoot to kill without hesitation. I do wonder, though, if they really know what the pack consists of.

Hybrids can be anywhere. They are far less exotic as they used to be. I live in a residential area where I've seen coyotes and I have seen the hybrids before. The hybrids actually relates back to this idiot breeder in a neighboring trailer park. Her house burned and she moved houses and left her dogs. She kept her land and just kept going back daily to check on the dogs. And the wolf dogs got out. Haha.

One of the hybrids was standing across the road from the military base one afternoon by the gas station and just stood there and howled. They are spooky. They are trusting enough to come around people but have wild tendencies and obviously...pack like behavior. I'd shoot them. Heck my neighbors shot a bb gun at a German shepherd who came prowling around my house a few weeks back. They were watching out for my chickens.
smile.png

Dogs in packs are doing what is natural to them, but that does not make it any easier to tolerate. Even the most loving and docile pet can revert to the wild instincts when bolstered by companions.... a little like a mob we humans are familiar with. As with lynch mobs or street riots, there is no easy way to deal with it. I have done pet and wildlife rescue for years, and do not often advocate killing animals, but there is a point where it must be done. I draw the line at the technique, however. Poisons and leghold traps are inexcusable, but if they can be trapped, shot cleanly or otherwise dispatched quickly and with a minimum of pain, I would lead the movement if that were happening in my area. I cannot count the number of dogs I have picked up on country roads, so I don't say this lightly. I have also attended a number of deer, missing lower legs from such attacks. Dogs are little more than emotionally retarded wolves. Man has bred out the most overt signs of the wild nature out. What we ended up with is a perpetually IMMATURE animal. A mature wild animal would not waste his energy chasing and killing for fun. They kill quickly so they do not have to waste their hard-earned calories in the process. Like a kid, a dog does not follow the rules of an adult. Wolves will go for the throat. Dogs go for the nearest thing, be it heel or tail. This is one way to tell if it is a dog or wild canine doing the damage. Unless this is controlled quickly, it will escalate and just get harder on all. I am surprised that the county has not taken action. Here, it falls to the sheriff to attend to such things, and when they begin to threaten the wildlife significantly, the state authorities will also take action. I wonder if the local residents, as a group, presented this problem to both the sheriff and state wildlife agency might help. A little publicity (and a risk of some bad press) might be useful as well, especially if there are elections in the offing. Go public, vocal, and hopefully, you can get some help.

Good luck,
sad.png
(I am reminded suddenly of the book LORD OF THE FLIES.)

How scary for the folks in the area. My friend just lost her last chicken to a pack of dogs that came through her yard.
It does not matter the breed or if it is mixed with a bit of wild. Once they take on that pack mentality and go prowling for a kill they are dangerous.

Back when my area was more rural animal dumping was really bad. It still happens but not as often.

Quote:
I dated a wildlife biologist a long time ago who darted wolves on foot in Alaska and he said the anaesthetic used worked within four minutes. I presented the idea of quarantining for testing and identification, but my sympathies would go with any law enforcement decisions to simply kill the whole pack, to be safe. That doesn't mean the whole community up there would be on board with shooting the dogs on sight and it's just another management option.

Obviously, if some members of the pack are wearing collars and I.D./rabies tags, then there's your method of determining whether pets are involved in this situation. If they are, then the owners can be held liable for the stock losses.

I am a wildlife biologist, general, not anything specific.

I think quarantining is impractical (maybe we have different ideas on what quarantine means). You have to be able to confine the animals. To confine them you have to find them. If you can find them then you might as well dispose of them. It can be done quickly with minimal suffering to the animal.

Testing? Why and for what? To get DNA samples so you can see if they might the animals involved in the killings? That sounds pretty expensive.

I have the opinion that the entire pack should be eliminated. Even they are someone's pet running loose at night I don't they can be rehabilitated.

I agree, if any of them have owners then the owners should be held liable.

Quote:
Oh yeah that looks pretty "wolfy" or "cyotish" to me. If they are taking down big animals like llamas and other livestock they need to be taken care of. I also agree with Speckledhen. Kinda scary!

Back
Top Bottom