Ameraucana Projects Thread

After a few disastrous years, no thanks to predators, I finally have a few nice Lavender (Isabel) Wheaten Ameraucanas roosters. Now comes the time to choose a breeding roo. I've narrowed it down to two out of 5. Neither are perfect but not too bad in my opinion. I'm looking for opinions.

Roo #1 nice size, has wing bar and wheaten triangle on wing tip, tail feathers less breakage Flaws: very light wheaten coloration (perhaps carrying silver gene), leakage on chest and tail feathers

Roo#2. Smaller, normal wheaten coloration (diluted bc of lavender gene) flaws: smaller beard/muff, feather breakage (a common fault in lavenders)

After a few disastrous years, no thanks to predators, I finally have a few nice Lavender (Isabel) Wheaten Ameraucanas roosters. Now comes the time to choose a breeding roo. I've narrowed it down to two out of 5. Neither are perfect but not too bad in my opinion. I'm looking for opinions.

Roo #1 nice size, has wing bar and wheaten triangle on wing tip, tail feathers less breakage Flaws: very light wheaten coloration (perhaps carrying silver gene), leakage on chest and tail feathers

Roo#2. Smaller, normal wheaten coloration (diluted bc of lavender gene) flaws: smaller beard/muff, feather breakage (a common fault in lavenders)

I'd pick number 1, just based on overall build. He's not silver, by the way. Color issues can be cleaned up, but conformation is much more difficult to fix.

I'd use the first one, color is pretty easy to fix and even if he is S/s that is easily fixed just breed him to hens that are for sure gold based, maybe breed him with some regular wheaten hens just to be sure?

I say the first one. I think he only looks pinched in that second photo because of how he's standing. In the third photo his topline seems to flow much better. I do really love #2's comb, though. It has such neat and tidy little peas, but I agree with @junebuggena and @cgmaster about his conformation...it seems much nicer to me. And he's bigger, which is a good thing. I've seen way too many undersized wheatens and it's hard to get any good size with them. He's very beautiful, and I can't wait until I can get my Isabel Wheaten project going now! Still trying to find good self blue Ams somewhere that I can actually afford...Good luck with your birds!!

Back
Top Bottom