Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
yes that is true the egg size has a lot to do with how large the chick is when first hatched. At least thats what I have seen.

I dont hatch my pullet eggs, even though I have at times I learned the hard way that the chicks often struggle or die young so now I wait for a few weeks to a month before setting their eggs. In that time alone the eggs get much bigger.

Harry-thank you. You are a rock star in my heart.
I hope to have 1/10th of the knowledge you have one day but have at the least taken up the cause.
I treasure them and have delightful memories of our visit to your farm.
Thank you for everything you have done for the Amers, and esp the Lavs.

Quote:

cotttagegarden,
Thank you for such kind words but really John Blehm is really credited for the Lavender creation for giving everyone the insperation to pursue and work on this color. He had the forsight that this color would be so popular. He was working on this color for a long, long time even before I had Ameraucanas on this cycle. I was a member of the bantam Ameraucanas back in the early 1980's. I was originally trying to get Araucanas but they were scarce or none were acceptable to even work with when I got the black Ameraucanas back in 2004.
I also enjoyed your visit. I am very happy to see you are showing and helping the 4-H club to create some potential breeders. Good luck this upcoming show and breeding season. Harry

Last edited:
Quote:
Last I knew Lisa did not have lavenders. She used to raise blue, black, silvers, wheaten and blue wheatens, but cut back to just blue and black a couple years ago.

Quote:
James, I don't believe those are splash ameraucanas. They look more like someone tried to breed dominant white. Splash birds would have blue/grey colored feathers, not black.

The eyes are yellow too.

Where'd you get them?

I have some splash birds (not ameracauna) that have "almost black", blue and pale blue spots. When I photograph them they appear to have black spots. I hate my camera
rant.gif

I like them JamesA. BTW- the BLRW that I got from you are lovely!

Woah woah please keep the thread civil. No one is slamming anyone else birds I believe pips&peeps just asked a question. Maybe its the camera maybe she is right, who know they are beautiful birds! and I consider Pips&peeps to be a great source of information about Ameraucana. Just try and keep it to a civilized discussion and be mindful we are on the internet so the tone of a post is up to the readers interpratation.

Henry

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Last I knew Lisa did not have lavenders. She used to raise blue, black, silvers, wheaten and blue wheatens, but cut back to just blue and black a couple years ago.

They were selling hatching eggs on craigslist so I am hoping they still have some for spring. If not I will pick another color.​

Back
Top Bottom