Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Nice too see you!! I'm never on BYC anymore, how are you doing????
Not on here much. Busy with school and work. I am well finishing my last semester up in Vermont. Have a farming job all lined up for after graduation. Still working with salmon faverolles.

Has anyone made any progress correcting the tail color in their Wheaten/Blue Wheaten females?

Lack of black/blue in the tail was always one of my biggest headaches.

Has anyone made any progress correcting the tail color in their Wheaten/Blue Wheaten females?

Lack of black/blue in the tail was always one of my biggest headaches
After struggling to improve this for a few years with slow results i finally found the fix. I brought in a new cock. Wheaton with perfectly clean hackles, solid black muff and a deep black color (but strangely no beetling on the black). He throws color like nothing I've ever seen. Solid tail colors from tip to quill. I was looking for a few years and found this cock. Check like I did at shows, buy from a reputable ABC breeder. Tell him/her your issues and what you want to improve. ABC members, especially the old guard, are very willing to share their knowledge.

Paradise - Glad to hear you're still working on your Wheatens/BW. I'd love to see photos of your tails
ep.gif
. I hope to see you and your DH at shows this year.

32 weeks and still no eggs! A couple weeks ago I put a light in the coop that will provide 14 hours of light. I figure they've done all their growing up and it won't hurt to give them a jump start on spring. Every time I see them it seems like their combs are redder, and they're *definitely* getting louder. My coworkers think it's funny I'm already looking into my next batch of chicks and haven't seen a single egg yet. ;)

I really want wheaten birds but I'd also like some color variety in my egg basket so I'm looking into Wheaten Marans. It's funny, when I started I wanted Wheaten Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans and now it looks as though I will end up with Black/Blue Ameraucanas and Wheaten Marans.

Pretty boy. His tail angle could be a little lower. Should be closer to a 45 degree angle. That would help get rid of that fluff at the base of his tail. Overall I like him though.

Back
Top Bottom