Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

But what I always think is so weird, is you can have an Ameraucana, that is totally pure bred, but if it isn't on the list of official recognized Ameracana colors then it isn't an Ameracana, but an EE.

I know, very odd. If I start with two true Ameraucanas in colors that are not breeding compatible and end up with an off color, I would call that a non-standard color but still an Ameraucana, but that's just me. It can't be shown, of course. It will still lay blue eggs, have slate legs, white skin, reddish bay eyes and all the other Ameraucana traits, just be an off color.

Now, I was just in Tractor Supply to put up an ad on their bulletin board and they had the chick bins with one labeled "Ameraucana". Of course, I know that there is NO way there will ever be Ameraucanas in that bin because they only buy from big hatcheries. I asked which hatchery, but no one seemed to be able to tell me. Naturally, I'd never buy TSC chicks and try to avoid hatchery stock in general now. I just don't like that company and the way they do business.

But what I always think is so weird, is you can have an Ameraucana, that is totally pure bred, but if it isn't on the list of official recognized Ameracana colors then it isn't an Ameracana, but an EE.
Yep but I feel the point is all the hard work people put into standardizing them and that is why it's like that. If I breed a wheaten penedesenca to a partridge penedesenca I get a barnyard mix at least that's what I call it . I don't really care either way just my opinion

Yep but I feel the point is all the hard work people put into standardizing them and that is why it's like that.
goodpost.gif
(very well stated)

Since I'm totally new to the world of chickens, what makes Americaunas better, or shall I say, more preferred over EE?

I have 5 EE chicks and they were sold to me as Americaunas. It doesn't bother me because I didn't know of either one prior to my purchase.
Hey Cheri14 - I think it really depends upon what your goals are to state which is "better". Our two "Americauna"/EE gals were bought by my MIL for her grandsons one spring at the farm store. They were adorable little chicks! Irresistible. They turned out to be extraordinarily hardy and are great layers. They serve their purpose well and have tremendous sentimental value. However, they are not appropriate for the boys to show in 4-H. For this purpose, they should have an animal that approaches the Standard of Perfection put forth by the American Poultry Association. The kids need to learn about the breed and what makes it different from the others as part of their project. They want to raise chickens - something not to be taken lightly, imho. Not just to multiply and make more of something, but to have goals in mind for the offspring - improvement over what the parents offer. For our current purposes, Ameraucanas are better because they have been bred toward a standard. They are purebred in the sense that we have a reasonable expectation of consistency of certain traits in their offspring. (It will be some time before I come to call them a "pure" breed, however.) If we were working on a backyard flock or wanting to select traits solely for egg production, the published standard would have less meaning and EEs may then indeed be the preference.

My barn cats are darned good mousers and wouldn't trade them for the world. I'm not bringing them to a cat show anytime soon, though.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom