Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

how do you tell if you have ameraucanas or EEs? I have some that are suppose to be ameraucana. one is white with black speckles. one has golden feathers edged in black. one is light gold edged in black. they have fat cheeks and one is getting a small flat comb. they are about 10 weeks old. two of them will fly up to my arm and sit on it to eat. they seam better fliers than most of my other chicks at that age.
Where they came from is a big give away, for starters. Very few hatcheries have true Ameraucana. True Ameraucana are sold with the color variety specified. If no color was specified at purchase, Wheaten for example, it's not an Ameraucana. Also, if they have greenish legs, it means they have yellow skin. Ameraucana only have white skin.

May be an odd question but I have 3 EE hens 1 blue ameracuana and 1 EE roo in the same pin will the EE traits of the roo or the blue hen dominate?
It depends. Do you want to know what color the chicks will be? Is the rooster muffed? Blue Ameraucana is based on extended black. It will cover just about every color/pattern. What does the rooster look like? Things like the pea comb, blue egg gene, white skin, and muffs are dominant.

It depends. Do you want to know what color the chicks will be? Is the rooster muffed? Blue Ameraucana is based on extended black. It will cover just about every color/pattern. What does the rooster look like? Things like the pea comb, blue egg gene, white skin, and muffs are dominant.

EE rooster

Blue amerucauna hen

EE rooster

Blue amerucauna hen
Most the chicks will likely be either black or blue. Male chicks, as they mature, may develop the dark red 'leakage'. If the hen is pure Ameraucana, all the chicks should be muffed. If there are chicks with no muffs, then the hen only has one gene for muffs, and isn't completely pure. The rooster has white earlobes, which means he likely does not have the brown 'coating' gene for eggs. That means that the female chicks should be blue egg layers, not green layers. But that's still not a guarantee.

Most the chicks will likely be either black or blue. Male chicks, as they mature, may develop the dark red 'leakage'. If the hen is pure Ameraucana, all the chicks should be muffed. If there are chicks with no muffs, then the hen only has one gene for muffs, and isn't completely pure. The rooster has white earlobes, which means he likely does not have the brown 'coating' gene for eggs. That means that the female chicks should be blue egg layers, not green layers. But that's still not a guarantee.
thank you for all your help

Where they came from is a big give away, for starters. Very few hatcheries have true Ameraucana. True Ameraucana are sold with the color variety specified. If no color was specified at purchase, Wheaten for example, it's not an Ameraucana. Also, if they have greenish legs, it means they have yellow skin. Ameraucana only have white skin.

Since when is Wheaten not a recognized Ameraucana color? I have to disagree with that.

Nm, june, misread the sentence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom