Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Oh my word he is gorgeous!!!! wow!!! beautiful rooster! I also read above about the blue eggs the hatchery suggested the cream legbar breed. Your suggestion sounds interesting! I really want them for ourselves and we love the different egg colors but some of the chickens are pricey so I have really been thinking about breeding a few to balance out some cost. Noone around me has any of these birds. What are your thoughts?

Oh my word he is gorgeous!!!! wow!!! beautiful rooster! I also read above about the blue eggs the hatchery suggested the cream legbar breed. Your suggestion sounds interesting! I really want them for ourselves and we love the different egg colors but some of the chickens are pricey so I have really been thinking about breeding a few to balance out some cost. Noone around me has any of these birds. What are your thoughts?
If you can find a breeder that will ship eggs, the Ameraucana will lay eggs just as blue as the cream legbar, and they are far cheaper. Just about all Ameraucanas sold by hatcheries are actually easter eggers, Easter eggers can lay blue eggs too, but most are greenish. A pure Ameraucana will lay blue, without the greenish tinge.

This is only my opinion, and means nothing, but I just think the ameraucanas are much, much prettier birds than the legbars. I have AMs, and a friend has CCL, and visually, at least to me, there is no comparison.
I have had chickens for 7 years now, but just in the last year started getting some purebreds to breed. Spend the money to get better birds as long as you do your homework and know that you are getting quality birds. I have a list of people waiting for me to start hatching from my AMs. I had 6 extra cockerels from my first straight run batch of chicks, and those sold in two days after posting. I've never sold any breed of rooster that fast.
I haven't made any profit, but I have broken even this year by selling eggs, chicks, and started birds. That's not bad for a hobby that I would be doing anyway
thumbsup.gif

This is only my opinion, and means nothing, but I just think the ameraucanas are much, much prettier birds than the legbars. I have AMs, and a friend has CCL, and visually, at least to me, there is no comparison.
I have had chickens for 7 years now, but just in the last year started getting some purebreds to breed. Spend the money to get better birds as long as you do your homework and know that you are getting quality birds. I have a list of people waiting for me to start hatching from my AMs. I had 6 extra cockerels from my first straight run batch of chicks, and those sold in two days after posting. I've never sold any breed of rooster that fast.
I haven't made any profit, but I have broken even this year by selling eggs, chicks, and started birds. That's not bad for a hobby that I would be doing anyway
thumbsup.gif
I have CLs, Ams, Marans & Bielefelders. They are all beautiful and bring a smile to my face many times a day. Ams are chatty, Cls are curious and calm. Marans are complainers, Bielefelders are quiet giants. My Splash Marans are beautiful..... my Black Am rooster gorgeous! I like them all and then I start looking at other breeds and I want them too! Chocolate laced Wyandottes! Please! Each of us are drawn to different breeds. Aren't we lucky there are so many to choose from? I do agree.... if you are interested in raising chickens find the very best you can to start out.

I have CLs, Ams, Marans & Bielefelders.  They are all beautiful and bring a smile to my face many times a day.  Ams are chatty, Cls are curious and calm. Marans are complainers, Bielefelders are quiet giants.  My Splash Marans are beautiful..... my Black Am rooster gorgeous!  I like them all and then I start looking at other breeds and I want them too!  Chocolate laced Wyandottes!  Please!  Each of us are drawn to different breeds. Aren't we lucky there are so many to choose from?  I do agree.... if you are interested in raising chickens find the very best you can to start out.
I totally agree, and that's why I said my opinion didn't matter. I just prefer the AMs. I have a bunch of different breeds and love them all as well :thumbsup
I wish I had known when I got started what I know now. Most of my flocks were started from hatchery birds, and the AMs from Paul are the first breeder quality I have ever gotten. There is no comparison, and it was much cheaper to start with quality birds than it is to try and cull and improve from a sub-par flock. It's a shame the splash aren't a recognized color, because a few of mine are absolutely stunning. Most people just want them for the eggs, anyway, so I expect those to be big sellers next year

I totally agree, and that's why I said my opinion didn't matter. I just prefer the AMs. I have a bunch of different breeds and love them all as well
thumbsup.gif

I wish I had known when I got started what I know now. Most of my flocks were started from hatchery birds, and the AMs from Paul are the first breeder quality I have ever gotten. There is no comparison, and it was much cheaper to start with quality birds than it is to try and cull and improve from a sub-par flock. It's a shame the splash aren't a recognized color, because a few of mine are absolutely stunning. Most people just want them for the eggs, anyway, so I expect those to be big sellers next year
I agree..... I have wasted a lot of money in many endeavors when I should have just went with the quality from the start. The old saying, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" So glad you are happy/excited about your new Ams. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures. Samouw posted a pic of her Am Rooster from Clif Redden.... unbelievable. I love black Ams.

I agree..... I have wasted a lot of money in many endeavors when I should have just went with the quality from the start.  The old saying, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"  So glad you are happy/excited about your new Ams.  I am looking forward to seeing more pictures.  Samouw posted a pic of her Am Rooster from Clif Redden.... unbelievable.  I love black Ams.  
I saw him, he was gorgeous. I'm really, really excited about these birds. My blue rooster is a little leaky, but he's getting some BCM hens for an OE pen :thumbsup

I appreciate all the feedback. I was looking at the Americaunas but the pictures look like their eggs can be really close to the ee...I dont want to spend 20 a pullet for the same color eggs...thats why I was leaning towards the creamleg. I am also looking into breeding whichever blue egg layers I get. Nothing crazy just something to do with the kiddos. I am hoping to recoup some money for the birds and feed if I am lucky. EE are the only birds I see around me..closest hatchery that caries what I want is meyer in ohio..thoughts? I am not trying to learn along the way and who knows maybe someday I will breed more for the breeding part but for now I just love the blue eggs and I think folks around here would like them with my maran eggs too :) thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom