Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Does anyone have any 2-3 week old Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chick pics? Please!!!! Thank you!
You can try http://www.onceinabluemoonfarmstead.com/ . She is in TN and she says she ships through August. I have some W/BW and Lavs coming in late June. She is part of this group and a Lav thread, but have not seen her post in a while. Probably because she's been busy with hatching season along with being a wife, mother and farmer!

Last edited:
Really hoping my Sage is a pullet. Her head feathers are darkening up a bit, and her comb is pretty wide, but it's still pale and not red like Basil's.

Basil is in front, being his usual blurry self.

I think she has a pretty good shape overall though.

Looks like a girl to me! I am envious as I have not had a splash in this years hatches. Currently, they are my favorite. Hard to have a favorite of these babies as I love them all and to my husband's chagrin, I think I have to have every variety. I build the coops and take care of them so I don't pay a lot of attention to Spouseman.
wink.png

You can try http://www.onceinabluemoonfarmstead.com/ . She is in TN and she says she ships through August. I have some W/BW and Lavs coming in late June. She is part of this group and a Lav thread, but have not seen her post in a while. Probably because she's been busy with hatching season along with being a wife, mother and farmer!

I have Wheaten/Blue Wheatens chicks almost 2 weeks old. I love them! I was just wanting to see if anyone had any pictures of them! This is my first time with the Wheatens. I was just wanting to see what to look for as they feather out. When I could tell if they where Wheaten or Blue Wheaten! Male or female! Sorry my post was not clear! Thank you!
smile.png

I have Wheaten/Blue Wheatens chicks almost 2 weeks old. I love them! I was just wanting to see if anyone had any pictures of them! This is my first time with the Wheatens. I was just wanting to see what to look for as they feather out. When I could tell if they where Wheaten or Blue Wheaten! Male or female! Sorry my post was not clear! Thank you!
smile.png

I have three hens. One two years old and two that are a year old. I have not been able to get this flock going, but due to my own ineptitude, not the chicks. My first roo did not color out correctly. The following year, I had a nice group that I hatched from eggs from MrsBachBach. They were really pretty and doing well. Unfortunately, I switched their coops, took off for a family reunion and they got Coccidiosis while I was gone. I did not recognize or address the situation quickly enough when I returned and I only saved two hens. I still have no roo, but hopefully I will get one in my chicks in June. Temperament wise, my BWs and the Lavs are the best. Could be because I have them together as I am not hatching them and the Lav roo is the most laid back roo I have.

I have three hens. One two years old and two that are a year old. I have not been able to get this flock going, but due to my own ineptitude, not the chicks. My first roo did not color out correctly. The following year, I had a nice group that I hatched from eggs from MrsBachBach. They were really pretty and doing well. Unfortunately, I switched their coops, took off for a family reunion and they got Coccidiosis while I was gone. I did not recognize or address the situation quickly enough when I returned and I only saved two hens. I still have no roo, but hopefully I will get one in my chicks in June. Temperament wise, my BWs and the Lavs are the best. Could be because I have them together as I am not hatching them and the Lav roo is the most laid back roo I have.

Sorry about your loss! I think it may depend on the line. Right now I am not impressed with my Lavenders. I guess just the roosters! They are not nice and they are only around 12 weeks old! They are kind of bullies!

Love mine. I almost think it comes down to the chicken. My roo and hen are both very docile and I can pick either of them up easily. I have never tried to make mine pets so they get the same treatment as all do. Lancelot and Violet. Only one other of my AMs has a name and that is my beautiful black roo, Hawkeye.

I also just lost 10/11 of my black juvis to coccidiosis :(
They were my birthday presents. And I cried all week. Because they were good lines. Cliff lines :( :( :(

My last picture.

Now all but one. I'm hoping and praying its a pullet. Cuz I'm getting a new cockerel from him.

I know that there are many excellent breeders on this site and quite a few had a hand in the concept and making of the Ameraucana. I would love to have stock from all of you, but then Spouseman might be a widower. I knew Once in a Blue Moon was still taking orders, breeding and shipping while many have ended their 2016 breeding season, or have orders for the remainder. She is also from TN as I am, but I probably am just as close to upstate SC and definitely NC. And of course, there is always pony express.

Last edited:
I also just lost 10/11 of my black juvis to coccidiosis
sad.png

They were my birthday presents. And I cried all week. Because they were good lines. Cliff lines
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

My last picture.

Now all but one. I'm hoping and praying its a pullet. Cuz I'm getting a new cockerel from him.

I know how you feel. I lost most of my BWs last year to the same. I had never lost any chicks previously. I am now much more careful.

smile.png

Let's see if I can help you with that. I have many pics of that variety, but not sure of the age. I'm thinking around three weeks. I have found the best way to tell when young is by looking at what is coming out around the neck. Dark feathers=male. Light feathers=female

Notice dark pin feathers coming in male. This is a wheaten btw.

Here is what a female would look like:

Notice the lighter colored (tan) feathers on female's back. Males generally color in darker like below picture. It can depend on the line. You may see some lines not as dark or males may feather in more slowly making identity early on difficult.

Male ^ is the one with head hidden. That is a wheaten. A blue wheaten would have more blue color instead of black, but still more color than a female would have.

Back
Top Bottom