Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Yes, I am already on a few.
smile.png

I have a question about leg color on my Wheatens... As I was going through some of my males and deciding who can stay and who can go I noticed some have off colored scales on the front of their legs. Anyone ever see this pop up in their flock?

Normal color:

Odd (brown) color scales

Help! I am trying to integrate a 4 month old Splash to the flock, and my 2 Blk Ameraucanas are being bullies. They are not even at the top of the pecking order. I only have a flock of 5. Three are Orpingtons and the 2 blk Amer. They have been around this particular chick for over 2 months. Are Ameraucanas bullies? They are VERY aggressive towards this chick.

Help! I am trying to integrate a 4 month old Splash to the flock, and my 2 Blk Ameraucanas are being bullies. They are not even at the top of the pecking order. I only have a flock of 5. Three are Orpingtons and the 2 blk Amer. They have been around this particular chick for over 2 months. Are Ameraucanas bullies? They are VERY aggressive towards this chick.
More likely it's space and pecking order related. Ample space for all (more than the usual averages), and multiple food and water stations help to easy tensions.

Are they all the same age? If the Blacks are much older, and they don't lessen up in a few days, I would take the two out and keep them in a separate pen for a few weeks. Then I would introduce one at a time back with about a week in between before putting the other back. That week will give time for that one to find it's place in the pecking order again and even if it does bully the splash for position, at least the splash won't have two at a time messing with it. Like other poster said, more space is likely needed. And hiding places and extra feeder.

This is my first blue cockerel 4/2 hatch. What do you guys think now that they are older. I still agree they have poor lacing, but what do you think otherwise?

I think he looks good, except for the lacing as you said. Tail could be carried a bit higher, looks low in second pic.

I have a question about leg color on my Wheatens... As I was going through some of my males and deciding who can stay and who can go I noticed some have off colored scales on the front of their legs. Anyone ever see this pop up in their flock?

Normal color:

Odd (brown) color scales

I haven't seen that before. I don't see spurs so assume it's a cockerel? Could they be stained? Are the scales loose? Possible bleeding under the scales? That's about all I can think of because I just have never seen that color in scales before.

Back
Top Bottom