Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Last edited:
I just looked at them and they look great!! So I just educated myself on the difference between EE's and Ameraucana's. I have an EE rooster apparently. He is beautiful but he is a hatchery chick he is a silver color with red saddling. So I am wondering if I should steer clear from breeding him to a true Ameraucana hen or not? I love his color but I don't want to perpetuate mutt breeding with purebreds. Any thoughts on this?
hu.gif

Quote:
If you just want to breed for yourself, for colored egg mutts, or whatever unrelated to purebreds or showing, do what you want.
smile.png
If you want purebred breeding, you're gonna have to get rid of him or just use someone else. (a purebred) Easter Eggers most of the time have unrecognized colors and unwanted green legs, which although appear to disappear when breeding to Ameraucanas, the green pops back up recessively in future generations. Not a good thing. Also, most Easter Egger roosters may carry a brown egg gene, which will also taint the future egg color.

Quote:
If you just want to breed for yourself, for colored egg mutts, or whatever unrelated to purebreds or showing, do what you want.
smile.png
If you want purebred breeding, you're gonna have to get rid of him or just use someone else. (a purebred) Easter Eggers most of the time have unrecognized colors and unwanted green legs, which although appear to disappear when breeding to Ameraucanas, the green pops back up recessively in future generations. Not a good thing. Also, most Easter Egger roosters may carry a brown egg gene, which will also taint the future egg color.

Sounds good. I don't show and if I decided to someday then I will get serious about the Ameraucana line I just love the unpredictable little fuzzballs that come out of the eggs and the beautiful colors they turn into. Now it will be quite difficult to nail down an EE bantam breeder wont it?
he.gif

Quote:
smile.png

Sounds good. I don't show and if I decided to someday then I will get serious about the Ameraucana line I just love the unpredictable little fuzzballs that come out of the eggs and the beautiful colors they turn into. Now it will be quite difficult to nail down an EE bantam breeder wont it?
he.gif

Yeah, but you can be your own EE breeder... I have 3 black/lavender split Am bantam pullets I'm bringing to the swap...
wink.png

Not sure what to do about this guy! I lost his mate, well didn't loose her, hawk took her...He is still young and very handsome. The 2 other girls, BSL, I got him with are his family. I'm pretty sure it would crush them if he was gone. He was supposed to be a she, oops. Now I think it is too late to swap him out. He has only been crowing for a month, I would be fine with that as I can figure some sort of darkening of windows. However, there is a new (just passed 5/31/2011 - didn't know about it) ordinance for Clackamas County that says no roosters (and only 6 animals - we have 9 - oops again). The swap in Corvallis is calling my name, but ...I'm wondering if I should just wait till the spring swap and "deal" with him later. Problem is, if I get called on the roo, I would most likely get called on the additional hens.
he.gif

Aside from the leakage on the hackles, good looking guy? Thought, advice, hand hold ...
57124_img_0527.jpg

57124_img_0525.jpg

You can see the leakage of white (and his main squeeze Mango behind him)
57124_img_0524.jpg

Quote:
Considering the number of farms in Clackamas County, I doubt that ordinance is county wide, are you sure it's not just your town? I'd put him on CL...
smile.png

Quote:
Considering the number of farms in Clackamas County, I doubt that ordinance is county wide, are you sure it's not just your town? I'd put him on CL...
smile.png

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm in Clackamas County and am out side of the city limits (or I was) a neighbor just told me that about 6 months ago the line was moved back and now roosters are not allowed and that a maximum of chickens is 6. I just got a roo and his two hens at the Poultry show and I do not want to give him up. I plan on making shutters for the coop windows and the skylight for during the night and the morning so that his crowing is muffled. He doesn't crow that much. He goes on two sprees from between 7 am and 8 am and maybe once during the rest of the day. My goal is not to have anyone official come knocking on my door
wink.png

I'm in the "Milwaukie" Area. Any further info on the subject would be great. Sorry about hijacking

Back
Top Bottom