American serama thread!

Couldn't he just be a Serama with a weird tail? I've hatched a pure Silkie with sickles before, weird things happen. I don't think he can be mixed based off of where he came from. Everything about him but the shape of his sickles says Serama. Other than his tail what makes you think OEGB? What I'm seeing is a poor quality Serama. I'm still tryna get a pic of his brother. His bro is a perfect Serama, tail and all.

May I ask, where did you get him from?

I'll have to look that up they're not like a well known breeder. They're a local couple who breeds and shows Seramas. Their birds were great and had won several shows. All they do is Seramas there are no other breeds in the premises. I will look back and see if I can find the name of the place if it had one.

I'll have to look that up they're not like a well known breeder. They're a local couple who breeds and shows Seramas. Their birds were great and had won several shows. All they do is Seramas there are no other breeds in the premises. I will look back and see if I can find the name of the place if it had one.

What state are they from and are they a member of SCNA or ASA maybe?

They're in NC. and idk but I maybe could find out.

Also, a Serama (idk who) just layed an egg like five minutes ago! About to set it in a turner and wait a few days for another before I set it in the incubator. I guess heat lights work like others? Also, how long is it safe to wait before starting incubation?

Definitely NOT serama! Look at the leg color, very typical of Old English. He is a much more horizontal bird than a vertical bird.

You need to be careful with people who claim their birds "won" at a serama show. Ask for the show name and verify online. Also, how many in the class? Could have been the only bird, just sayin'.

Here's references from two show websites:

The sickle feathers must be equal in length and they must extend approximately one inch above the rest of the tail,and should be stiff and held straight in an upright position. Soft flopping sickles are faulty and undesirable. Those which are too long and curl over are also undesirable

Soft, floppy sickles or sickles that are too long and curl over are faulty and

undesirable.

His tail is a defect, not a sign of a cross. I've also seen several Seramas who aren't very vertical, and know several breeders who discourage being vertical because it's not very healthy for their organs.

And his legs are actually yellow, the lighting in the room and the camera flash made them look white.

I don't think he's crossed.

If he is, I traded a perfect SQ pair of Silkies for a pair of mutts. Who knows about the hen? She has no sickles to tell if they'd be curved or not. But from what I've read curved sickles are a common defect.

His sickles are wrong, his back is wrong, his comb, and his wings, are wrong. What've I got? A chicken who probably isn't even a Serama. The cheating people of the world
he.gif

So does this mean that the hen who came with him probably isn't a Serama either, if he is mixed? And their two chicks...all to the pet pen
smack.gif
(The blue guy's the 'breeder')

I hope the guy I got the other eight from was honest.
fl.gif

And other than taking peoples word for it, there's no way to know for sure he is mixed, right?

I'll get some pics of the hen. Maybe she's alright
fl.gif

Here's the size egg the hen lays. Again, flash sabotaged the pic. It's normally light brown.

Hen's feet. Funny grey colour.

She doesn't stand very straight unless she's on alert.

Prizepete, got any pics of your Seramas? I'm def gonna be ordering eggs in the spring. Especially now. I need some good pure birds. But of course I gotta see pics
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom