Another new addition to the farm - and it was hubby's choice!

She does not look like a mini to me. How many hands is she?

I have two driving ponies, one 11.3 and the other about 13 hands. I trained the smaller one myself, and had the other trained for one month by the Amish. I did all the prep work on both of them. Some are easy to start and others more difficult, depends on the pony.

I love driving them so much that my riding horses get neglected. I've got an easy entry cart and a small buckboard type wagon. Fun fun, especially parades!

If you have any specific questions let me know if I can help!

Those who suspected she wasn't a miniature are right! I probably wasn't 100% accurate but I measured her today as being 9hh or 36". In Australia a miniature pony has to be under 87cm which is 34.25inches.

I made a quick rope halter up for her today because I had nothing here that would fit (my first ever attempt)! She was following me around and was perfectly easy to catch and halter. It was clear that she has been broken to halter and allowed to get away with bad behaviour ever since. She didn't turn too easy to the off side but she was generally well mannered in the yard.

Being mindful of keeping her moving to try and lose some weight, I took her for a walk around the property. At some points she began to pull and become a mini steam roller... shaking her head and fighting me but I had her settle and stand then she would walk on quite well.

Later this afternoon I caught her again and tied her up in the yard. She fought a half hearted battle for 5 minutes or so and then stood quietly and even started to doze off. I gave her a bit of carrot and set her free.

I took her for another walk again this afternoon. For the first 5 minutes or so she was pulling on and off, but after she lost a few battles she was an angel. She even came with my husband and I to roll up some large extension cords we had set out earlier.

pony bum!

Just a bit fat!
ep.gif

She doesn't look so fat from this angle!

She looks much better! So cute! I think she will be a very fancy driving pony! I love driving my Morgan Stallion and a pony is next on my list...
wink.png

rilly10 - A Morgan stallion
love.gif
He must be beautiful. I'd love it if you could share a photo!

Spent an hour or so in the yard with Bubbles this morning. Just some bonding time. After she finally decided to come and stand with me I plaited her mane and tail and gave her a grooming. She stood still, even with no halter on.

Later this afternoon we went for another long walk around the property. Probably had her out for over an hour walking around while my husband was fixing fences and filling up water for the duck, turkey and pig. Bubbles grazed happily on the end of her lead even whilst my hubby was banging posts into the ground and using power tools. She seems to be fairly quiet and not jumpy or easily scared.

This time she did not pull like a steam train once. She was quiet as a lamb until she decided she didn't want to go past the dam. She went to dig her heels in and when I did not pull back at her she looked quite surprised! She walked on after another half hearted argument and was good as gold for the rest the the walk. We even trotted for a bit and she still didn't pull or become excited.

I think she just had it over her old owners. When I asked my hubby how she went when he got her... he said she wouldn't lead and that it was a drama to get her to walk let alone get onto the trailer. They never even used to lead her... they used to lead their old pony and she would just follow. Since they sold the other pony they haven't even been near her since. She had just been turned out in a massive paddock!

She doesn't seem to be nasty or too flighty or anything. Based on my first few days of handling her I think she will make an awesome driving pony or a child's pony!

It's been a LONG time since I have had to train a horse or a pony for anything. It's such getting back into it all!

Had another good day with Bubbles! Spent a few hours with her this morning taking her for a long walk, a small pick of some grass and then popped her back in her yard.

I gave her a tiny handful of chaff in a bucket as a treat which I set on the ground. After a minute or two I went back in the yard to pick the bucket up and when I bent over to get it off the ground Bubbles jumped back with a nasty look, snorted and trotted off with her ears turned back... (not flattened, but still cranky looking).

That sort of behaviour is NOT acceptable!

So I free lunged her in the yard at a brisk trot for about 30 minutes. Within that time she had snorted, relaxed and was listening and responding to me. The fat little thing was getting tired and had even broken a slight sweat (it was HOT today). After I was satisfied that she had settled and was getting tired I gave her a pat and left her be.

Bubbles eating thistles!

This evening I took her out for a walk and some grass. When I approached her yard she heard me coming and was waiting at the gate. She even talked to me as I was walking up and stood calmly for her halter to be put on. She was a good girl this evening and barely protested when I took her past the pig pen and the chickens, duck and turkey!

I'm sad I have to work in the office tomorrow! I have such fun spending time with this pony.

Back
Top Bottom