Any Home Bakers Here?

I baked the Chocolate Souffle tonight

Ready for oven
IMG_0525.JPG
Baking
IMG_0526.JPG

Baked

IMG_0528.JPG

My Mom is at about 4500 feet and I do notice a bit of a difference in baking and boiling time. Not too much though
Boiling can take longer because water boils at a lower temperature. As far as the baking goes, I am more referring to the recommendations to actually alter the amounts of flour or baking soda than to baking time. There is a lot of variation in baking times from oven to oven no matter where you are and especially in the past which is why most old recipes have the caveat "until done" rather than a specific time for baking.

Boiling can take longer because water boils at a lower temperature. As far as the baking goes, I am more referring to the recommendations to actually alter the amounts of flour or baking soda than to baking time. There is a lot of variation in baking times from oven to oven no matter where you are and especially in the past which is why most old recipes have the caveat "until done" rather than a specific time for baking.
I have baked quite a bit up there and it seems to work the same. I made a lot of muffins for a Family Reunion and did not change the recipe. The muffins turned out great!

I did have to add 10 minutes to pressure cooking time when I made beef ribs up there. Not Big deal though

I second (third?) the above. I am at about a mile high as well. I never add extra flour—things are so dry here already!—and I rarely change the amount of leavening. The one exception though is if I am making any sort of pound cake. Those recipes seem to have a particularly large amount of baking soda/baking powder in them (I assume because it is necessary in order to get a thick layer of dense, heavy batter to rise in a loaf pan?). So I find if I don't lower the amount just a bit, the cake may rise and then fall a little in the middle—not that that stops me from eating it lol! But it doesn't look as nice.

I second (third?) the above. I am at about a mile high as well. I never add extra flour—things are so dry here already!—and I rarely change the amount of leavening. The one exception though is if I am making any sort of pound cake. Those recipes seem to have a particularly large amount of baking soda/baking powder in them (I assume because it is necessary in order to get a thick layer of dense, heavy batter to rise in a loaf pan?). So I find if I don't lower the amount just a bit, the cake may rise and then fall a little in the middle—not that that stops me from eating it lol! But it doesn't look as nice.
:goodpost:
Thanks for the altitude tips!

How does yeast bread do?

:goodpost:
Thanks for the altitude tips!

How does yeast bread do?

I must confess that I am not much of a bread baker (I have to settle for drooling over all the beautiful items posted on this thread :drool ) I pretty much only make yeasted doughs for holidays. I will say I have never noticed any problems :confused: But I am not sure if that is because yeast is less affected by altitude than chemical leaveners....or if it is because making dough is more of a “by feel” thing anyways... so you might just automatically adjust things like the amount of flour, rising time etc without really thinking much about it ... :idunno

I must confess that I am not much of a bread baker (I have to settle for drooling over all the beautiful items posted on this thread :drool ) I pretty much only make yeasted doughs for holidays. I will say I have never noticed any problems :confused: But I am not sure if that is because yeast is less affected by altitude than chemical leaveners....or if it is because making dough is more of a “by feel” thing anyways... so you might just automatically adjust things like the amount of flour, rising time etc without really thinking much about it ... :idunno
Thanks!

I have not baked bread at my Mom's place.

Back
Top Bottom