Any Home Bakers Here?

I must confess that I am not much of a bread baker (I have to settle for drooling over all the beautiful items posted on this thread :drool ) I pretty much only make yeasted doughs for holidays. I will say I have never noticed any problems :confused: But I am not sure if that is because yeast is less affected by altitude than chemical leaveners....or if it is because making dough is more of a “by feel” thing anyways... so you might just automatically adjust things like the amount of flour, rising time etc without really thinking much about it ... :idunno

I really didn't think I was but am having a good time figuring it all out and sure enjoy learning

Years ago I decided to EAT Healthy and lost 20 pounds and have managed to maintain. Here is a recipe for Banana Dates Nut Muffins:
w ripe bananas
1 seven ounce of greek yogurt
1 large egg
2 tlbs melted coconut oil (or canola)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unbleached AP flour
1/4 cup protein powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup chopped dates
wet in one bowl dry in one bowl combine gently
375 degree oven 18-22 minutes makes 16 muffins

What is your elevation?

We're just under 6,600 feet here. Cakes sink in the middle, hot drinks cool off faster, water boils at a lower temperature, etc. I've had to modify some of my recipes to work up here...sure not the same as baking in FL!

This is kind of an interesting chart about boiling water:
boiling-points-of-water-1328760

We're just under 6,600 feet here. Cakes sink in the middle, hot drinks cool off faster, water boils at a lower temperature, etc. I've had to modify some of my recipes to work up here...sure not the same as baking in FL!

This is kind of an interesting chart about boiling water:
boiling-points-of-water-1328760
Whenever I have baked goods sink in the middle it has always been because they weren't finished baking when I took them out of the oven but you are about 1300' higher than I am.

I have found that boiling pasta does take longer. If I was to use the times on the packages of spaghetti, I would never get the spaghetti properly cooked. The thick spaghetti that I use in the Cheese Spaghetti recipe requires about 20 minutes of boiling time to cook properly versus the 11 - 12 minutes the package calls for.

Last edited:
Whenever I have baked goods sink in the middle it has always been because they weren't finished baking when I took them out of the oven but you are about 300' higher than I am.

Nope, that's not it. I've had to adjust some recipes by using a bit more flour, a bit less sugar etc to keep the center falling from happening.

Once nice thing about the altitude, dough rises faster!

We lived at 7400 feet when we were in Wyoming. My high altitude cookbook recommended to let bread rise an extra time to allow the gluten to completely develop. The lower air pressure (thin air) makes it easier for the bubbles to grow, and therefore the dough rises faster. If you don't shorten the rise times, it will over-rise and break the gluten strands that are formed when you knead the bread. But the dough still needs the entire rise time, hence the extra rise. My bread was always great.
I was making whole wheat bread once when a friend was visiting. He lives at "mile high". He and his wife ground their own grain and make homemade bread also. Their bread was good, but the texture was off. He couldn't believe when I did shorter rises and one extra rise. He went home and did the same and he bread was so much better.

It takes a lot longer to cook rice, too. I tried to make chicken and rice casserole and it took forever The chicken was overdone but the rise was still tough.

This is what I made yesterday...tasty!

100_0055.JPG

LAYERED CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE WITH OREO CRUST (no bake recipe)

Crust:
Store bought Oreo pie shell

Filling:
2 (8-oz. each) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Cup heavy cream
5 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips

Topping:
3 oz. heavy cream
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 Tab granulated sugar

Filling:
1. Melt the 5 oz bittersweet chocolate and set aside to cool
2. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth
3. In separate bowl, mix 1 Cup heavy cream until soft peaks form, add vanilla extract and continue mixing until stiff peaks form
4. Add cream cheese mixture into beaten heavy cream, mix on low speed just to combine
5. Divide mixture into 2 equal portions in separate bowls
6. To the first half of the mixture add melted chocolate and mix on low speed to combine, then pour the filling over the crust. Carefully spoon the second half of the mixture over the top of the chocolate layer
7. Place the cheese cake in the fridge for at least one hour

Topping:
1. In a medium saucepan stir together cream, chocolate and granulated sugar on low heat until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth
2. Cool and pour over the cheesecake

Keep leftovers refrigerated.

Note: If you prefer to make your own Oreo crust, mix 1 1/4 Cups Oreo cookie crumbs with 3 Tab unsalted melted butter and press into pie pan. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.

Back
Top Bottom