Any Home Bakers Here?

The NFC burger buns came out bigger than before, no idea why. I made 6 this time and 6 last time. Gonna have to make "fast food flat" burgers or put in more meat so you can tell there is a burger in there. 1/2 whole wheat this time and they were tastier than the all white flour last time.

The KA Basic Sourdough looks like it came out well, I didn't let it over proof in the pan this time so it doesn't have the T shape.

Champlain sourdough still proofing. Man what an exercise! I hope it comes out well, probably won't go in the oven until 9 PM, then 45 minutes of baking.
Any pics? We love pics! That was a lot of work!

20200516_194601_HDR.jpg

Well, I found a 1952 silver dime. Thats one way to cheer me up.

The NFC burger buns came out bigger than before, no idea why. I made 6 this time and 6 last time. Gonna have to make "fast food flat" burgers or put in more meat so you can tell there is a burger in there. 1/2 whole wheat this time and they were tastier than the all white flour last time.

The KA Basic Sourdough looks like it came out well, I didn't let it over proof in the pan this time so it doesn't have the T shape.

Champlain sourdough still proofing. Man what an exercise! I hope it comes out well, probably won't go in the oven until 9 PM, then 45 minutes of baking.
Did you start the bread last night at 9pm?

Not really. It takes time for the proper dosage to get into my system. I might feel better tomorrow.
Jared, Doctors are not what they were. They are over worked and do
their best. My son has a problem and the Doctors after many tests....
have not solved his problem. Fortunately yours is manageable. Keep
in touch. God Bless. Aria

Any pics? We love pics! That was a lot of work!
Like this?
DSCN2002.JPG

2 of the burger buns had been consumed last night. The last of last week's KA Basic were had for French toast this morning. Haven't cut into the other breads yet. The Champlain loaf isn't as high as I think it should be. Probably didn't help that I dropped it into the preheated soup pot but I sure wasn't going to get my hands down into a hot 10" tall pot. Going to need to get a Dutch oven. I see that what the Original Champlain baker used is a set with two 10" cast iron pans. He put the bread in the shallow one and used the taller one as the lid. Not at all like most of the Dutch ovens I see on the web.

619DLHm0z2L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Lodge Combo Cooker 10.25"

Did you start the bread last night at 9pm?
Yep, I had already put all the ingredients together when I posted at 9 PM Friday. The reason I went hunting for the original (or any other) recipe was just to see if I could find anything about temps or times if it was not cooked in a vessel. That was before @Sequel had posted about using pots.

The Champlain went in the oven about 9 PM Saturday. 20 minutes at 425° (Original recipe said he does it slightly cooler for a slightly easier bite) with the top on, 25 with it off. If I had started the folding earlier I would have had better timing. KA loaf in at 350° for 40-50 minutes, burger buns in at 375° for 18 minutes, French fries in at 400°F for 30 minutes then the Champlain at 425°. But I had to turn the oven off for 3 hours and then back on for the Champlain.

Last edited:
Like this?
View attachment 2145602
2 of the burger buns had been consumed last night. The last of last week's KA Basic were had for French toast this morning. Haven't cut into the other breads yet. The Champlain loaf isn't as high as I think it should be. Probably didn't help that I dropped it into the preheated soup pot but I sure wasn't going to get my hands down into a hot 10" tall pot. Going to need to get a Dutch oven. I see that what the Original Champlain baker used is a set with two 10" cast iron pans. He put the bread in the shallow one and used the taller one as the lid. Not at all like most of the Dutch ovens I see on the web.

619DLHm0z2L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Lodge Combo Cooker 10.25"

Yep, I had already put all the ingredients together when I posted at 9 PM Friday. The reason I went hunting for the original (or any other) recipe was just to see if I could find anything about temps or times if it was not cooked in a vessel. That was before @Sequel had posted about using pots.

The Champlain went in the oven about 9 PM Saturday. 20 minutes at 425° (Original recipe said he does it slightly cooler for a slightly easier bite) with the top on, 25 with it off. If I had started the folding earlier I would have had better timing. KA loaf in at 350° for 40-50 minutes, burger buns in at 375° for 18 minutes, French fries in at 400°F for 30 minutes then the Champlain at 425°. But I had to turn the oven off for 3 hours and then back on for the Champlain.
You should try my modified recipe in the index. Bread is started at 9pm and then ready to eat by lunch time

Hey folks, totally off topic....
Hi folks, I'm working on a project with Michelle and need test data badly. If you have time I would ask that each person out here create 5 users (use a name that is kindof unique to you not something like test1... )(just to pick on sour, maybe something like Sour1, sour2, etc.) and for each user create 5 breeds, please use different breed categories and don't chose the first or second breed in the list mix it up. The main form is here and there's a link after you hit submit that will take you to the breed form. I suggest copying your made up user name for the follow ons. Sorry for the painful process but that's what we get when we use free stuff.

When you fill out the first form, please select different countries/locations and change up the data. I really hope some of you will make mistakes that cause errors so I can close up those gaps.

thank you in advance. I've asked others to help me generate test data and gotten little response. With my work schedule, I have to work things when I can.

Back
Top Bottom