Any Home Bakers Here?

Hi everyone - new to BYC, just got my first 4 chicks a few weeks ago. I've been making my own bread for 10-ish years now - whole wheat, but using half whole wheat and half sprouted whole wheat flour was a game changer! So fluffy and light! I use a breadmaker to mix the dough and then bake it in the oven. Love the smell of fresh-baked bread, and sliced right out of the oven with some butter or jam. nothing better!
Welcome to the Home Bakers thread.

Hi everyone - new to BYC, just got my first 4 chicks a few weeks ago. I've been making my own bread for 10-ish years now - whole wheat, but using half whole wheat and half sprouted whole wheat flour was a game changer! So fluffy and light! I use a breadmaker to mix the dough and then bake it in the oven. Love the smell of fresh-baked bread, and sliced right out of the oven with some butter or jam. nothing better!
Welcome!

Fresh bread is a joy!

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

You guys..... I don't think I was doing a long enough bulk rise..... The dough is SUPPOSED to get bubbles!!! *smacks forehead*

If I want it to fit in my schedule, I'll add commercial yeast. I tasted this dough before I shaped it, and it has the sourness that I want (and feel has been missing for a while). I forgot that sourdough is about how it looks and feels, not specific times. I'll let you all know how these 3 turn out when I bake them in the morning.

I did a stoopid. Again. Just sitting here all proud of myself because my sourdough rye is on its first 15 minute rest between mixings (there are two of those rest periods before bulk rise starts) when it hit me - I can’t finish the bread in the morning because we won’t BE here in the morning! Tomorrow morning I should have shaped it, rested it, put it in the banneton to rise for another hour, then baked it. Oops We have to leave for Billings at 6 am….Ken has an appointment to pull his remaining upper teeth and get his denture put in.

Lots of recipes say I can mix it up, rest, mix, rest, and then refrigerate overnight and get it out to do its bulk rise in the morning for baking in the evening. I’ve never done it that way before, but I guess I’ll be trying it tomorrow. <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom