Any Home Bakers Here?

Loaf cake with chocolate butter cream frosting.
C95A34E1-9334-4042-81A7-5A8783E2A5B8.jpeg

If any of you are not sure how to get vanilla,... I open a vanilla pod and scape out the dark inside ( this is the good stuff!) and use it for a cake/dessert whatever, then I stick the pod in a tall glas and cover it with 200 g of sugar and let it stand ( with the lid on) about a month or until the pod is dry, I then whizz the pod ( broken into pieces) with the sugar in a strong kitchen mixer until it resembles icing sugar, whenever I need vanilla, I use a tablespoon of it

If any of you are not sure how to get vanilla,... I open a vanilla pod and scape out the dark inside ( this is the good stuff!) and use it for a cake/dessert whatever, then I stick the pod in a tall glas and cover it with 200 g of sugar and let it stand ( with the lid on) about a month or until the pod is dry, I then whizz the pod ( broken into pieces) with the sugar in a strong kitchen mixer until it resembles icing sugar, whenever I need vanilla, I use a tablespoon of it
Aaaand now I remember why I love to cook and hate to bake. It’s all very complicated! Thanks for the info. I’ve passed it on to Ken, who loves to bake and hates to cook!

So, not really baking but I did use my oven. 😁
Made meatloaf the other day and heated up some yeast rolls (from the store). Then I turned some of the meatloaf into a frittata. Tonight I will make a leftover chili with the remaining. Hubby thawed enough ground beef for a family and its just the 2 of us. I should have just made half of it, but I don't mind leftovers and he does after the 2nd day. 😆
So, I try to get creative. Anyone else do that?

20220202_170028.jpg 20220203_171757.jpg

Last edited:
@MotherofOrpies thank you for the recipe, copied into my "gotta try it" cookbook.

Couple of questions: the 1 envelope of vanilla - how much vanilla is that? 1/2 teaspoon?
and how much is 1 pkg of vanilla sugar?

While reading this it came to mind that I had a bottle of Vanilla Powder.

I just had to go look in my spices to see.

I have a bottle of Pure Vanilla Powder made by Nielsen Massey, net contents 2.5 oz. (70 g).

1 Tbs. Vanilla Powder = 1 Tbs. Vanilla Extract

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Vanilla Extract.

Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Inc., Waukegan, Illinois 60085-8307 USA

It is Gluten Free.

I cannot tell you where I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom