Any Vegetarians?

I'm a vegetarian!

I don't cook as much as hubby does, but he always makes veggie versions of what he makes for the fam. My faves include:
  • veggie tacos with chopped mushroom, carrot slicers, broccoli florets, and sliced onions marinated in adobo with fresh cilantro
  • farro salad with butternut squash chunks, pomegranate seeds, pepita seeds, and feta crumbles
  • fried spinach ravioli with bleu cheese dressing
  • homemade veggie burgers made with ground pecans, egg, brie, sun-dried tomato, and topped with arugula
  • eggs poached in cherry tomato marinara sauce with chickpeas
  • roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic reduction and almond slivers

Most sound much fancier than my usual fare, @Aunt Angus, but really yummy! I do make and love sprouts with balsamic and almonds. I hesitate to call myself a vegan, because I eat eggs -- only from my own chickens, ducks and geese. But, I'm as plant-based as possible and haven't eaten meat for quite a while.

One of my current favorites is Better Bean Burgers, from a recipe by author Robin Robertson. Drain and rinse a can of black beans, mash the beans in a bowl, add 3 Tablespoons of vital wheat gluten (aka, wheat gluten flour) and mix well.

Add 1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs, 1/4 cup minced onion, 2 Tablespoon of minced fresh parsley (or 1 Tablespoon of dried parsley) 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well with your hands and make into four patties.

Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the burgers, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, flip with a spatula (they tend to be crumbly!) and cook for up to 5 more minutes. Keep an eye on the burgers; the recipe says 5 minutes each side, but I tend to cook mine less time.

Serve with condiments that usually accompany burgers.

Vegetarian here! I'm actually allergic to meat, but enjoy fish, eggs, dairy etc,.

A VERY yummy dish that my family enjoys is a sort of cooked kale salad.
(Don't judge just yet!)
For prep, you chop up some mushrooms and peel the leafy greens of the kale off the stalk and set aside. Then sautee some garlic and onions in a little butter. Add protein (I usually use salmon!) and/or mushrooms. Pour a mushroom or vegetable broth over the mix and add the kale (a lot of it!) You'll then mix it up and cover the lid to let steam for abt 10min or so. It's reeallly yummy!☺

I forgot: super easy and soooo yummy: roasted leeks with mustard and parmesan. It sounds weird, but is ridiculously tasty.
  • Cut leeks into large chunks
  • Clean and soak in cold water to soften
  • Parboil them for a few minutes to further soften
  • Put pieces in a single layer on a pan
  • Spread leeks with Dijon
  • Sprinkle with parmesan
  • Broil until cheese starts to brown

I forgot: super easy and soooo yummy: roasted leeks with mustard and parmesan. It sounds weird, but is ridiculously tasty.
  • Cut leeks into large chunks
  • Clean and soak in cold water to soften
  • Parboil them for a few minutes to further soften
  • Put pieces in a single layer on a pan
  • Spread leeks with Dijon
  • Sprinkle with parmesan
  • Broil until cheese starts to brown
That sounds fantastic!

One of my favorite meals is a grilled portobello burger with garlic and feta aioli, avocado, and purple onion. And beer battered onion rings.

Also look up potato peel tacos. It’s basically frying the peels from potatoes until they’re crispy, adding onions and peppers or whatever you want.

I make omelettes with it. Cut a corn tortilla into strips and fry until crispy, add it along with the taco mixture, maybe some guacamole, and cheese. Or salsa. Or all of it.

Look into Indian food, there are lots of choices there; samosas are super easy and you can play with ingredients to your tastes.

Don’t forget soups. There are a few we like and I make extra to freeze. Super easy to add a salad and/or a grilled cheese sandwich on a busy night.

I highly recommend red lentils. They have a mild flavor and I’ve been gradually adding them to various things as I cut back on meat for hubs. Add to soups, stews, salad, even pot pies.

Fried rice is super easy and quick. It’s a really good way to use up leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom