Anyone else EXCITED to be getting baby chicks in the mail soon??

I was going to get Mille Fleur d Uccles, Mottled Japanese, Silver Sebrights, and Light Brown Dutch bantams. But we got the Meyer catalog today and my father said. "to bad we arent getting chicks this year."

th.gif
hit.gif
th.gif
hit.gif

I'm actually excited to NOT be getting babies in the mail this year. I've finally got my flock where I want it to be, with the breeds I want (except for some turkens!!!!), so this year all the new babies will be hatched babies from the girlies I already have. I can't wait to see what I get.

My chicks are shipping Feb 10th from Cackle.

I am expecting 25 Buff Orpington pullets, 25 Black Australorp Pullets, and 3 Black Australorp Cockerels.

I actually managed to get some more done on the outside Brooder today.

Matt

I won't be getting my chicks until early April.
pop.gif
I am getting some misc projects completed around the house before they get here.

Last year I borrowed a brooder. This year I will be building my own brooder. I am going to build it out of OSB. It will be 8' long x 3' wide x 2' tall. Plenty of space for the 24 - 25 chicks. I was just going to throw together something temporary but my wife suggested that we build something nicer that we can use in future years.
wee.gif
. Looks like my chicken addiction is contagious.
wink.png

I am not buying any chicks directly through the mail. Some are coming from a local breeder and the others are coming from two feed stores. I am getting all LF.

From the local breeder I am getting 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 2 Deleware, 3 Rhode Island Red, 1 Partridge Rock.

From one feed store I am getting 3 Easter Eggers. These are coming from Privett. I really like the 3 I got last year. I am hoping I can get a mostly white one.

Finally from another feed store I will be getting 10 mixed layers from a feed store promotion. I am hoping for at least 2 white leghorns and 2 gold comets in these
fl.gif
. I was very happy with the 5 I got from this feed store promotion last year (White Leghorn, Brown Leghorn, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Gold Comet). They get their chicks from Dunlop and another hatchery I had not heard of before (I don't remember the name).

Quote:
25 is usually the minimum for many hatcheries. Don't know about Ideal. You probably won't get extras. That's not to say you won't get a roo because they were sexed wrong. That's how I got my boy Bert. He was supposed to be a light Brahma girlie. Here he is with his sister.

000_0326.jpg

Me, me, me! I'm all excited! We have 20 golden laced wyandottes coming - will be shipped on March 3 (I know, it's still 5 weeks away, but I don't care; I'm still all excited).

Excited! But hardly coming "soon". I think we're looking at April hatch dates. Late enough to be a bit warmer up here, early enough that my folks don't have to care for babies when I do some traveling in the early summer.

We are expecting our first chicks in a week. When I say "first" I mean FIRST. A new adventure and from what I have been reading, it will be just that.
I can't remember what I ordered. Some kind a "assortment pack"
roll.png

We live in a residential neighborhood and can not have roosters. Ideal Poultry will put roosters in with our order to keep everyone warm. Sad question but "what do I do with these roosters that we are not allowed to have?
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom